As we launched our Beauty department at YAO, we decided to run a Groupon for the Brazilian Waxing service and boy have we learned a lot and it's mostly about what people don't know or understand. So here we have it from Cathy Castor, YAO Beauty's Esthetician.
Cathy Tells All About Brazilians
The more interesting side of learning about a Brazilian is not just "what" it is, but "why" have one or why do "other people" get one done? Women have many reasons that delve into how they enjoy their intimacy with their loved one to their experience of their own personal hygiene. If people are deciding to do a Brazilian for their partner and it in turn actually ends up making them feel amazing...well, that's what we support. There can be many reasons why we make changes in the first place and some of them may be for the wrong reasons...but in the end, experience wins out and our entire reasoning can change. At YAO Beauty we want to empower our patients and clients to feel amazing in their bodies. Here's what one client had to say about Brazilians:
What is a Brazilian?
A Brazilian Wax is the removal of all hair in the pelvic area, both front and back, and though a Brazilian can be done on both a woman or a man (manzillian), at YAO we only do a traditional Brazilian on women. Though the standard is to have all hair removed many women enjoy leaving a thin strip of hair. Don't be shy about sharing with me how much hair you want to keep. Some women really don't like being fully bare up front as you can see in the quote above by one of our patrons, and I am happy to accommodate to the best of my ability.
Things to Know Before Going to Get Your Brazilian
A few things to know before you go about getting your Brazilian at YAO:
- The main difference between waxing your coochie and waxing the rest of you is that at certain times of the month if we have all our lady parts (ovaries, uterus and all), we bleed. At YAO we recommend that you simply not be on your period when you come in for a Brazilian. A great rule of thumb is to avoid booking your appointment anytime closer than a couple of days before or after your period. Your skin is often more sensitive near the time of your period and waxing can be more painful than normal and we would prefer you have the best experience possible. At YAO, we are able to wax during your cycle, but want you to be aware that not only can this increase sensitivity, but we have also observed that it can increase the breakage of the hair and therefore results may vary.
- For optimum results, hair should be at least 1/4 to 1/2 inch long. If it's been more than 4-6 weeks since your last Brazilian (or if it's your first Brazilian), you should trim prior to your appointment so our Beauty Department can be the most efficient with your time during the treatment and to avoid any increase in pain during waxing.
Other Things to Know Prior to ALL Waxing
If you are considering a Brazilian wax, there are some important things for you to be aware of before, during and after this service.
- Waxing removes hair at the root, versus shaving, which only removes hair at the surface. Hair removal at the root increases the time between waxing as well as puts your hair on the same growth cycle, which helps eliminate breakage and ingrown hairs.
- Exfoliating your skin prior to your appointment is wonderful as this allows the wax to adhere to the hair and not to any dead skin or oils that naturally occur on our skin. Shower and lightly exfoliate your entire bikini area right before your appointment using warm, not hot, water. Don't use any oils or lotion in the bikini area prior to waxing.
- Take a pain killer 30-45 minutes before your appointment if you're worried about pain. (Aspirin and Ibuprofen may not be the best choices as they are both known to thin blood).
- It's ok to shower, but after waxing you should avoid excessive heat (very hot baths, hot tubs, saunas, steam rooms, tanning beds) as the skin is sensitive and vulnerable to ingrown hairs.
- Use a post treatment product and exfoliate your skin 1- 2 days after the service to help avoid ingrown hairs. At YAO, we treat your bikini area with a balm made by our skin care line, OSEA. Osea's Blemish Balm contains Osea's healing blend of Cypress, Juniper and Rosemary essential oils known for their antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.
What Wax Do We Use at YAO
At YAO we use a product considered to be the gold standard in hair removal called Nufree. Nufree was developed over 25 years ago to help plastic surgeons remove hair form patients before surgery, and it is now carried by thousands of professional salons throughout the world. Nufree is self-preserving, antibacterial and antimicrobial, and is therefore, safe, clean and germ free. It is completely botanical and safe for the entire body. Nufree is scientifically tested and uses no animal products.
Have More Questions? Ready To Book Your Appointment?
As your esthetician, I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have about our waxing services and more. Please feel free to call YAO directly OR send an email to [email protected] and I will gladly speak with you directly or get right back to you as soon as I am in the office.