At YAO we believe that food is medicine, that’s why we ask our patients to consider making changes to their diets. What goes in our body directly affect its processes. In the treatment room (and the mirror), I see…Read More
We are incredibly fortunate to have Daniel give us spontaneous morning tea tastings on occassion and today at YAO we were schooled on our Japanese Green Teas: Asanoka, Saemidori, and Sencha. These teas are fabulous ones for drinking especially when you are choosing to stop drinking coffee…Read More
I missed most of Daniel’s tea tasting this morning with our staff but decided to go another route with my tea selection anyway. I was feeling a bit "herbal" today, and I chose Hibiscus... and Chrysanthemum. And...hibiscus ACTUALLY…Read More
A few weeks ago, I began surprising you all with a couple of Facebook Live videos from my California kitchen and one of the recipes I was working on was this fermented Cashew Cream Cheese. You’ll still be ….Read More
Inside of us, there’s a continual autumn. Our leaves fall and are blown out over the water. - Rumi
Ahhhhhh Autumn…the coolness settling in means another quilt on the bed and cozy sweaters. A long walk is a feast for the senses – a rainbow of leaves, their crackle under your feet and the dry, earthy - crisp scent released when you kick them up. Stews and soups are back on the menu, and a richly spiced curry. One of the key curry spices, turmeric, evokes autumn with its beautiful rich golden-orange. In fact turmeric’s first use was as a dye, imbuing Buddhist monk’s robes with their striking hues.
bioactive curcumin - harmonious fall ingredient
A staple of Ayurveda, used for centuries throughout Asia, turmeric has a particular affinity for the blood as stated in the text Ayurvedic Medicine: The Principles of Traditional Practice. Thereby carrying its powerful health benefits through the body to do all sorts of wonderful things! Powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties from curcumin, one of the main bio-active ingredients of turmeric, contribute to overall skin health as well. External application is used to treat a variety of skin conditions, from acne to leprosy (even used by some to treat skin cancers). It has components that stimulate the body’s natural detoxification process.
mess free - elegant application of curcumin - Osea’s Vitamin Sea Serum
A mask of honey and turmeric in a yogurt base is used to give the skin a natural glow. Sounds a bit messy right? Not to worry, you can get it in a more cosmetically elegant form in this week’s featured product…
OSEA’s Vitamin Sea Serum
Vitamin Sea Serum is a potent anti-aging moisture booster. Formulated with Vitamins C and E, the amazing anti-oxidants that work synergistically to banish wrinkles and fine lines. OSEA utilizes turmeric as a natural brightener that has the added benefit of calming the skin. Some more sensitive skin types find the activity of Vitamin C topicals difficult to tolerate and the turmeric’s anti-inflammatory nature solves that issue. Ferulic acid improves the effectiveness of the Vitamin C and works to prevent UV damage. Hyaluronic acid assists your skin in retaining moisture to plump the skin and reduce flakiness. A single pump of this concentrated serum layered under your moisturizer is all you need to fight aging and bring out your natural glow.
synergistic product and service - Vitamin Sea Serum & Dermaplaning
YAO Beauty’s new dermaplaning service is a perfect way to prepare your skin to receive the benefits of this fabulous fluid. Exfoliating those dead skin cell and vellus hair allows for full absorption of Vitamin Sea Serum and all of the other luxurious every day natural skin care products we carry in the YAO Marketplace.
yao beauty is changing our perception of skin care as luxury…we embrace radiance for regular people
We believe that beautiful skin starts not only with great products, but also with those that won’t break your pocketbook. As you know, YAO truly believes that your overall health is greatly affected by your emotional financial state and we absolutely don’t want you digging too deep. We really want to make good everyday skin care affordable to you (Radiance For Regular People). And we believe we can do that one product at a time. You don’t need to buy a whole new line of products, but we’ll always let you know if something you are using is causing your skin or health harm.
15% off NOW on vitamin sea serum now through October 31st!
We are going to be working hard to bring you super deals to make your home skin care more effective long term. We want you to have these products because they work! So come down to YAO and receive 15% off the 18ml bottle, a 2-3 month supply for gorgeous, healthy skin from now through October 31st!
OSEA soaks the USDA Certified Organic algae in barrels of botanical oils for six months to naturally distill all those healing vitamins, minerals and nutrients into their most potent, purest forms. In addition Undaria algae contains fucoidan-a particularly hydrating compound, and we know especially here in Colorado that hydration can be hard to come by. This glorious algae protects your collagen and prevents the breakdown of hyaluronic acid in the body-necessary to keep skin smooth and firm. Acai, babassu, and passion fruit oils carry all that goodness while bringing their own antioxidant magic. Undaria Algae Oil gives your skin the moisture it craves while subtle aromatic citrus and cypress notes transport your senses.Read More
Summer is winding down, and those long days in the sun have taken their toll on your skin. You may notice that you’ve got some freckling going on, maybe you even stayed out a bit too long in the sun and have some splotchy darker patches. This hyper-pigmentation is triggered by UV rays that stimulate your melanin production. While sun exposure is the most common cause of abnormal pigmentation…Read More
We know you’ll love it. We know your friends will love it. We certainly know your pocketbook will love it. And of course, ultimately, your skin is going to thank you big time - with the glowing gratitude that it will exude when you walk down the stairs from the YAO Beauty room after your treatment…Read More
Plain Jane conjures the image of a dull or non-descript appearance. YAO Beauty wants to see that beautiful vibrancy you are experiencing on the inside reflected on the outside. So what in the heck is dermaplaning? …Read More
YAO is excited to introduce to you, Abigail Martin, Licensed Esthetician and the new face of YAO Beauty. If Abigail had a tagline it would likely be Bare Skin Looks Better. That being said, Abigail has the utmost compassion for those who have been struggling with acne and other skin eruptions, rashes, etc where the inner need ….Read More
Healthy, happy, skin is beautiful skin! We all know the dreaded Denver ‘brown cloud’ is bad for our lungs, but did you know that pollution contributes to extrinsic aging?Read More
Check out our comfortable and stylish YAO Clinic Year of the Earth Dog Shirts! We'd LOVE to give one to you for FREE *details below. These are high quality (some are organic) T-shirts made by American Apparel. They last a LONG time... our staff still has our Year of the Monkey shirts, and they been washed for nearly 2 full years with regularity and are running strong!
Here's what we need from you to PRE-ORDER - SUBMIT BY 3.2.18:
- email us at [email protected] OR Call 303-777-7891
- Specify size: S, M, L, XLarge or XXL
- Tell us your 1st and 2nd choices (please give us two choices) for styles: WOMEN: 3/4 Sleeve, Short Crop Sleeve, One Size Fits All Slub T, Tunic Long Sleeve OR MEN'S: Crew T OR V-Neck T
TO CLAIM YOUR FREEBIE T-SHIRT Select from the following amazing options for sharing YAO with others:
- Write a review about YAO on YAO Clinic Facebook, YAO Bodywork Facebook, YAO Beauty Facebook, Google, or YELP - this is always incredibly helpful for people considering coming to YAO that don't know anything about who we are or what we do. PLEASE PICK YELP!
- Invite your Facebook Friends to Like YAO on any of our 3 Facebook Pages, click on the small 3 dots ... under our profile picture and click on LIKE PAGE for yourself and then...invite your friends!
- Tag 10 PLUS Friends on your Facebook account to LIKE/Visit YAO Clinic Facebook, YAO Bodywork Facebook, YAO Beauty Facebook and include #YAOCLINICJOINTHEPACK
- Tag 10 PLUS Friends on your Instagram account to LIKE/VISIT @yaoclinic, @yaobodywork, @yao_beauty AND Include #YAOCLINICJOINTHEPACK
- Send a personal email to 10 PLUS Friends about why you love YAO and how it has helped you or why you think it would be of interest to them. Feel free to share our fun JOIN THE PACK Video as part of your email!
That's IT! Easy, right? Really want a T-Shirt but would rather not share and simply purchase? No problem. Email or call us to let us know what size you'd like so we can get a good tally on for our order! (Price of T pending final screen-print total, but will be no more than $15).
T-SHIRTS PROJECTED TO ARRIVE MARCH 13TH - 16TH
Lastly - If you haven't yet seen our short and very cute JOIN THE PACK VIDEO, have a quick look below. We think it really sums up a lot about YAO. Serious back ground music with a lot of friendly driven playing dogs - serious medicine, serious bodywork & serious beauty...infused with playfulness and a lightness that makes coming to YAO a good ole roll in the mud puddle!
YAO has you covered...we've got discounted services that will have you melting like Chocolate in your jean pocket and products that are perfect for either that awesome little self love gift or for someone special in your life. COME SEE!Read More
A note from Hope McDonald, Massage Therapist - YAO Bodywork 1.10.18
This just in...A sweet friend who was recently diagnosed with cancer - just had the most demoralizing and humiliating experience I think anyone with cancer can have! She was turned away from a spa offering massage services because she has cancer!
This breaks my heart more than you know!!!!! It is my desire to tell the truth, as I know it, about Cancer, Massage and ...COMPASSION!
Cancer is Not Contagious...
Cancer is NOT contagious and nor does it spread when massage is applied. Many years ago, massage therapists were trained NOT to massage anyone with cancer for fear of dislodging tumors and potentially spreading the cancer further via the lymphatic system. Clearly this was of great concern as it was of utmost importance to the therapists to provide healing assistance and certainly not anything that could possibly worsen the condition. It was also an important issue for the profession of massage therapy. Massage therapists have historically been made out to be less than professional at times and therefore making every effort to be as professional and scientific about the application of massage was a high priority.
Sadly some of the people who most needed touch and reassurance are those of us going through great challenges such as cancer. Our friends and loved ones can shy away from those going through cancer due to their own fears not necessarily of contagion, but of fear of loss. This can leave the person most in need of touch and love well out of the loop of love and kindness...and not a good place to be when you are working hard to overcome a massive bodily imbalance.
The New Paradigm of Cancer and Massage
The good news is that a lot of research has been done on the benefits of massage and treating cancer patients and thankfully the old mindset and understanding of cancer and the application of massage has changed! ( From 2011 The Progression of Oncology Massage )
Massage is the main umbrella which houses a multitude of modalities - many of which have been shown to benefit those going through cancer in any stage. Energy work: reflexology, reiki, healing touch, cranio-sacral, MLD - manual lymphatic drainage, SMRT - Selective Muscle Release Technique, etc.... the list goes on. One of my favorite resources around this is the book Medicine Hands by Gayle McDonald. I will hold my hand up... I too was concerned about how massage could affect those battling cancer, then I read this book and my eyes grew wide and my practice changed drastically.
Things to Consider
The important thing to consider when working with cancer patients is their immune system and lymphedema. Certain modalities; e.g. Deep Tissue, NMT, GuaSha, etc.... the deeper and more aggressive modalities, if you will, could potentially cause some nausea, swelling and bruising. Do keep in mind that these types of modalities can cause these symptoms in the cancer free population as well. That being said, it's probably best to request that your therapist go on the gentle side if you are going through cancer treatment. The last thing you may want if you are going through cancer treatment is to be any more nauseated then you may already be!
Um...a Little Compassion?
Compassion goes a long way and once I've discussed a lot of these concerns with my clients and they still wish to receive massage - we work together. We work slow and we work within their comfort zone. Massage and the benefits for cancer patients outweighs some temporary nausea - which in my experience is the worst that has happened.
Many massage therapists are so afraid to work with cancer patients for fear of the old out-dated belief that massage will spread the cancer, that they turn cancer patients away. This is not only not good practice, it is also incredibly humiliating and damaging for the individual approaching the therapist!
Come One Come All
YAO will never turn anyone away. We can always find a happy agreed upon place to do the work that needs to be done. If you need 'healing touch' you will get healing touch! We work with you to assess where you are at in your treatment and how we can work together. Massage is a wonderful healing and nurturing modality for any medical condition!!!! And I commit to you that I will never personally turn you or your friend/loved one away!
Please share this with anyone you know going through cancer or any other therapists that you feel may still be confused on the issue. We look forward to seeing you soon at YAO Bodywork!
We are back again with MORE delectables for you from professional Chef Sherrie Robbins! Today, Sherrie brought in these three fabulous summer salads. By now, you may be noticing that she makes use of the EVOO Marketplace oils and vinegars. If you haven't been playing in the kitchen as a hobby and don't have some of the staples/herbs and spices that are referenced in these recipes, I highly recommend making a trip to the store and getting some. These lovely oils and vinegars can turn a simple dish into something quite spectacular. Below I have referenced 2 local EVOO stores and the address for HMART where you can find some other fun vinegar finds!
My favorite of this bunch was the Roasted Radishes! They were an awesome surprise...I mean, who roasts radishes? I guess Sherrie does! And now, we all will. But truly each of these salads was delicious. Definitely try them all!
Let us know how you like these simple summer salads and any modifications you may try as well!
VINEGAR & OIL SHOPPING
For EVOO vinegars and oils
- EVOO Marketplace, DENVER - 1338 15th St, Denver, CO 80202
- EVOO Marketplace, LITTLETON - 2660 W Main St, Littleton, CO 80120
- Rice, Cane and other fun vinegars on the cheap - HMART 2751 S Parker Rd, Aurora, CO 80014
Roasted French Radishes
by Sherrie Robbins
Cook Time: 30-35 minutes at 425 degrees
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Radishes are a root vegetable like parsnips, turnips and celery. All of which can be delicious roasted! Try roasting your radishes the next time you pull some out of your garden or get them at the Farmer’s Market.
- 2 cups radishes, washed, trimmed, cut in half 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp snipped fresh chives or dried chives
- 1 tsp spicy brown mustard
- 1 tsp maple sugar or maple syrup
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place radish halves in oven proof dish.
- Drizzle on half the olive oil.
- Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- Roast for 30-35 minutes until radishes are tender and cooked through.
- Make a dressing with the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil and remaining ingredients.
- Drizzle over the cooked radishes and serve hot or cold!
Apple Fennel Salad
by Sherrie Robbins
Prep Time: 20-30 minutes
Chill Time: 1 hour
Serves 2-4 people depending on whether it is a side or a main dish
This is a great summertime salad. It is so refreshing, crisp, and light! Perfect for these hot summer days. In the winter I roast this salad in the oven and serve it along side baked sausages, roast pork tenderloin, and baked new potatoes.
- 1 Fennel Bulb, washed,ribs removed, bottom cut off, and cut in half width-wise (save some fronds for garnishing)
- 1 Granny Smith or Honey Crisp Apple, washed, cut in quarters, seeds removed
- 2 Tbsp Peach Balsamic Vinegar from EVVO Marketplace
- 1 Tbsp Lime Olive Oil from EVVO Marketplace Directions
- After washing, removing the ribs and cutting the bottom off the fennel bulb, cut the bulb in half width-wise. Remove the triangular core then slice the fennel as thin as you can.
- Slice the apple quarters thin as well, or you can just dice them in medium sized chunks if you prefer.
- Toss the two ingredients in a bowl, sprinkle in some fennel fronds and add the dressing and give a toss. Refrigerate until serving.
- Combine the Peach Balsamic Vinegar and Lime Olive Oil in a small bowl.
- Add a pinch of black pepper if desired.
- Mix well and add to salad.
This salad does not keep well so plan on eating it the day you make it!
Pickled Carrot Ribbon Salad
by Sherrie Robbins
Prep Time: 20-30 minutes
Chill Time: 3 hours
This salad is so versatile! You can use it as a summer picnic salad or as an accompanying dish for grilled and smoked meats.
You could also add sliced cucumbers to this dish to change it up!
- 2 - 3 large carrots, trimmed, peeled and sliced into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 c water
- 1 c rice wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar 1/4 c sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 sprigs fresh dill
- Wash the carrots, trim the ends, and peel strips the length of the carrot with a vegetable peeler making “ribbons”.
- Drop carrot ribbons in a bowl of ice water so they will get crisp and put in refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- Add the water, vinegar, salt, sugar, and garlic to a small saucepan and heat just to dissolve sugar.
- Let cool; then refrigerate.
- Remove carrot ribbons from the ice water, drain, and put in a serving bowl.
- Add the chilled dressing and toss.
- Sprinkle a few torn leaves from the sprigs of dill and serve!
This salad will keep for several days in the refrigerator so you can make a big batch!
One of the things you learn when you change your choices about food intake, specifically removing gluten, dairy and eggs, is that what we have considered to be "normal" foods for certain meals can seem nearly impossible. YAO has teamed up with professional Chef Sherrie Robbins, to present some easy meals each month. Sherrie makes use of simple fresh ingredients including tasty herbs and ingredients that support not only YAO's love of beauty and our joy of eating delicious food but it also supports what we do in regards to Chinese Medicine and bringing your physical embodiment back into balance.
Today we are excited to share with you some out of the box ways to think about your breakfast. A little side benefit for us is that Sherrie brings these delectables by YAO for us to try! Oh darn! We can solidly say that these 2 breakfasts ROCK! Please give them a try. And do let us know what you think and if you make any modifications, tell us what you do as well!
Classic Breakfast BLT ala YAO
by Sherrie Robbins
Makes 2 servings
- 2 slices of Cracklebred crackers (alternatively, a slice of Sami's bread toasted)
- 1/2 avocado, pitted, sliced thin or mashed (Remove Avocado if you are on the FODMAP diet)
- 1/2 c Kite Hill Chive Almond Cheese
- 4-6 grape tomatoes, washed and chopped
- 1/2 c arugula, washed and patted dry
- 2 Tbsp bacon bits or 2 slices of cooked bacon
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1 Tbsp of fresh parsley, washed and diced Salt and Pepper to taste.
Spread the almond cheese on the crackers/toast.Lay down a few leaves of the washed Arugula. Add the chopped tomatoes.
Top with the bacon bits / sliced bacon
Add the slices avocados.
Drizzle on the lemon olive oil.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Sprinkle on parsley garnish.
Cracklebred can be hard to find. Sherrie found it at the Longmont Cheese Emporium.
The buyer at Vitamin Cottage told her they would order it in if you could give them the product name. I think they used to carry it a while ago.
The “Med” Mediterranean Breakfast ala YAO
by Sherrie Robbins
Makes 2 servings
- 4 slices of Cracklebred, Rice Cakes or other Gluten Free Cracker or Bread 1/2 cup chopped,
- pitted olives (any kind you like)
- 1/2 cup Kite Hill Plain Almond Cheese
- Dash of red chili pepper flakes to taste
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Olive Oil from EVVO Marketplace, or your favorite olive oil 2 Sprigs of fresh oregano, leaves removed from stem and diced
- I tablespoon of toasted pine nuts
- Spread the almond cheese on the crackers.
- Add the chopped olives, lemon olive oil, and red chili pepper flakes together in a small bowl and mix.
- Add the olive mixture to each cracker.
- Top with the diced oregano and toasted pine nuts. (to toast the pine nuts place them in a skillet over medium high heat and shake them around in the pan until they begin to brown)
I love to use the Cracklebred as open faced “sandwiches” with a variety of toppings! The possibilities are endless. Get creative and let us know what you came up with.
I named this treat “The Med” for a couple of reasons. Olives are a great source of fat, anti- oxidants, vitamin E, and contain anti-inflammatory properties. But they are high in calories so you can’t just chow down on a boat load of these little lovelies without thinking about calories too!
Off we go to EXPO WEST 2017...
We know you are ready for some new and exciting food ideas on your YAO diet...
And we are ready to forge every single booth on your behalf starting FRIDAY! Every year, we head back to the Natural Products EXPO WEST in Anaheim to not only find new exciting goodies for you to taste and purchase right at YAO, but to also find out about the top new exciting things you will be finding at your local grocers: Whole Foods, Natural Grocers, Sprouts and eventually trickling into King Soopers, Target and Safeway as well.
OUR GUIDELINES ACROSS THE BOARD:
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
- Egg Free
- Non-GMO/Project Verified (if possible)
- No Corn/Soy (if possible)
- Low in sugar (if possible)
- Local company (if possible)
- Locally grown ingredients (if possible)
Though these are our ideal criteria, we also recognize that you need options from which to select at the store and not everything will meet all of these. The top 5 are the most important and the others listed are vegan icing on the gluten free cake. So we use these as GUIDELINES in our selection process and not hard and fast criteria.
Items we will be looking for to have at YAO:
- New Bars
- Jerkies/Meat Sticks
- Tasty new Chocolate bars/Candies
- Treats that can be enjoyed by those of you needing a sugar free option!
Sharing our findings with you...SnapChat & Other
We know you want to be a part of this exciting adventure, so we have decided to give it a go and use some social media arenas to keep you up to date on our journey through the show. We are new to SnapChat, but after a successful rudimentary "story" today, we are ready to rock and roll. However, since we are new to it...we will definitely still be posting on our Facebook, Instagram & Twitter accounts.
Please see our SnapCode and Social Medial Links below.
We want to hear from YOU...Be a part of our conversation at EXPO
We would love to hear from you as we are going and will be monitoring all of our social media, so please let us know what you like...don't like...and want more of by commenting/liking/loving our posts.
See you online!
Every year we hear from a few of our most trusted and regular patients how frustrated they are with how insurance does not cover what we do at YAO. We sure do hear you. We understand that many of you consider YAO Clinic to be your place of true primary care. We are the place you first call when anything goes wrong...the first sign of a sore throat, a flu that seems to have lingered too many days, when a family member checks into the hospital for surgery, etc. We're there for the unexpected side effects of beauty enhancement surgeries (loss of sensation in the breast, or around the areas of incision for nips and tucks). And.....YAO has also been there as your trusted Chinese Medical Hospital when sudden and unexpected events occur such as stroke.
We know you pay for YAO out of your own pocket directly and we recommend you consider the following criteria when looking at your options in Open Enrollment as well as thoroughly read through our commitment to you included here as well.
- Do a cost analysis part 1 - Look over your past year's out of pocket expenses that you paid toward your health plan. This should include all co-pays and all deductibles that need to be met.
- Cost analysis part 2 - Pool together the monthly cost for your insurance coverage.
- Cost analysis part 3 - pool together parts one and two to see your total out of pocket cost.
- What are your physical conditions that may contribute to the need for western medical care? - Sit down and honestly list the things you might feel dependent upon as it relates to your western medical care. Pregnancy, Aging, upcoming surgeries/procedures, medications? Do you have circumstances that you feel would contribute to the likelihood of your need for this type of care?
- How much money do you spend on your wellness? - Tally up how much money you spend on taking good care of yourself. This can be the difference in your grocery bill from generic food to organic. It can be herbs and supplements spent at other vitamin and herb stores, etc.
- How much money do you spend at YAO? - Tally that all up. What have you spent on herbs and medical/wellness appointments at YAO? This can include acupuncture, massage and facials...they are all part of your own wellness.
- Now look at your own personal big picture - Look at your fear and comfort factors. Is there a way you can afford to increase your deductible so that you are more in the range of catastrophic coverage and invest that money more in your own health and wellness?...buying good food...choosing practitioners that assist in supporting your health?
- What's the difference in plans that have doctors you already use or are comfortable with? - If yo down grade your plan, you may need to go to an in-network doctor/s with whom you are unfamiliar. Consider what you are willing to pay to stay with the doctor/s that you already know.
- Which doctor/s or networks might work best with what you are doing at YAO? We are taking this on with a vengeance a YAO. We want to work more closely with your other providers. Creating a care contracts with your other providers. So consider this if your choice of provider is definitely part of your decision.
- And the last and most bold...Do you need to have western medical insurance? This may seem very bold and it is! But our current state of health care is beginning to beg us to actually ask this question. Could you financially handle a catastrophe with your own resources? If so, know what the penalties are for tax purposes for choosing not to have health insurance before you make this bold choice to take this adventurous journey. But if you are a YAO regular and decide to do this...let us know! We would like to be sure we know that you are EXTRA counting on us to be there! #YAOlifer - If you are interested in doing this but unsure, please let us know your thoughts and feelings around this. Let's open this conversation together. Feel free to email Margaret at [email protected] But do remember our scope of practice is only Chinese Medicine; so you really need to be honest with yourself about what you may need as far as western medicine is concerned.
Our Commitment to our YAO Family
At YAO, we consider our patients part of our YAO Family. We have taken the true ancient models of how Chinese Medicine was applied in Confucian Societies and attempted in our best ways (with constant room for improvement) to apply it to today's day and age. It's our job to keep you well. To keep you empowered in your own daily life and choices that support your health. Therefore, here is our commitment to you:
- We are here to stay! - YAO has no plans of packing up and leaving. We are here to stay and Daniel is very carefully training a staff to support the YAO Family of patients longterm.
- Keeping care affordable - We will make every effort to keep your services and YAO Market prices affordable. We are constantly coming up with new ideas for how we can group things or offer discounts throughout the year to make your regular care and some specialty offers within your budget.
- Creating more availability- We know you have busy schedules and busy lives and it is our commitment to you to come up withe even more ways to make ourselves available and accessible to you both at the clinic and while you are away.
Turning your blues to greens!
It is our wish that having a quick look here will help you not only bring more vibrant green growth into your life but will also keep more of those green bills in your pocket. We look forward to working with you as a true partner in your health, illness and wellness!
How to stay true to your YAO Diet, watch out for holiday party challenges, keep it real and feel great!
So you've been asked to be on what seems like the never ending YAO diet...removing out gluten, dairy and eggs among other things...and you're probably wondering how in the world you are going to maintain all of that during the upcoming holiday parties.
Never fear, we've put together a good strategy that could be of great assistance.
Putting YOU first in the equation
Yes indeed, put yourself first by all means. Here's the scoop. During the holidays we want to come together with family and friends that love and care about us and that we love and care about also. The fact is that if we do not care for ourselves properly we won't either be feeling good enough to care for our loved ones or we won't be around as long this lifetime to care for them or for them to care for us! It may seem incredibly self-centered at first to design your meals and party going strategy around your dietary requirements, but in actuality, it's in thinking about everyone else that you will realize that caring for yourself is extremely important.
Party Going Tips
So now that you're committed to YOU, how are you going to get through those holiday parties? We've put several options together for you. But here's the scoop. If you find something fabulous you want to share with others...do it on our YAO FB page! I (Margaret, here) can approve your post. So please post your fun drinks or party ideas you have come up with for the holidays. So like our FB page and put #YAOholidaycheer . We will also keep you informed of our newest latest greatest discoveries on FB and Instagram in real time for sure...we will try to add to our Twitter and Pinterest as well! Soooooo... here we go....
BEFORE YOU GO
- Eat before you go: That's right! Eat the food that you enjoy and is within your dietary requirement guidelines that supports your body before you even leave the house. You will feel better when you show up and better throughout the time you are at the party
- Repairvite it up before you go: Come by YAO to stock up on RepairVite and have a scoop of Repairvite in a glass of water before you go and also after the party. RepairVite is wonderful just in case something gets in your body that is NOT in alignment with your body's best interest, the RepairVite can stave off a lot of the long lasting not so fun reactions your body may have including but not limited to: bloating/gas/diahrea, hangover, mind fog and more .
- Bring something for yourself to eat/share: If you are going to a party where other's might show up with goodies, then by all means bring something tasty that fits into your dietary regimen that you can both share and eat for yourself. Something that will satisfy you and be a treat. You don't have to tell anyone why you brought it or why you are only eating that item. They likely won't even be paying attention. But this allows you to feel social and eat confidently during the party. We have made some alcoholic suggestions below, but another great easy party treat is YAO's Sami's Chips accompanied by a round of Miyoko's Creamery Cheese. This is a vegan cheese that is very high end and quite tasty. Nooch market can special order for you, but our favorite by far is the fig leaf wrapped round (pictured at right). Other rounds of Miyoko's can be found at Whole Foods markets around town!
- Bring something you can drink for yourself and to share: If there's one thing Daniel and the entire YAO Team for that matter, won't want you to sacrifice, it's a good time. And for many, a good time during a holiday party is going to involve a little alcohol. But not all alcohol's are created equal. Many are grain based alcohols. And before we rev this blog article up a notch, let's be sure to mention our friendly neighborhood liquor store, Divino's. We LOVE Divino's and often find ourselves browsing their many goodies. They DO stock the Glutenator (below) and several other of the cider's we love under Cider. So if you're by YAO for an appointment or goodies...swing by Divino's after and have a look!
BEER - If you like beer, go out and find The Glutenator (pictured here) and bring a few Glutenators or other gluten free, NOT just gluten reduced, beers along with you.
CIDER - There are some truly fabulous cider's on the market right now. Try a hard ciders like this one Samuel Smith's Organic (pictured right). Divino's has two TOP NOTCH cider's that are above and beyond AMAZING. These gems come with a champagn cork and cage and are in a tall Champagn bottle. Super festive! And they are...
- CAVE DE LA LOTERIE- CIDRE FERMIER ($14 at Divino's)
- CIDRERIE DU VULCAIN - TRANSPRANCE CIDRE ($24 at Divino's)
TEQUILA - Our absolute all time favorite tequila is Maestro Dobel Tequila (pictured left). It's awesome. But the main thing you want to remember is that some of the cheaper tequila's like Sauza and Hornitos are mixed with grain alcohols. So don't bother touching them. You absolutely will not feel well. There are a TON of other fabulous tequila's and we encourage you to learn, browse, taste. We enjoy sipping these fancier tequilas, serving them over ice or heck...just taking a shot with some tasty meyer lemons!
A super affordable tequila that is one of our staples is Olmeca Altos Reposada. This can be as low as $33 for 1.75 liters. It's great not only for sipping but a fabulous mixing tequila. We enjoy mixing this with Califia's Tart Cherry Lemonade. It looks super festive and tastes like a fun Margarita!
Also try Hacienda Vieja, Corralejo or Cazadores -we enjoy all of those in Reposada!
VODKA - Vodka's are awesome too, but they have to be either a potato vodka or there are also some grape based ones. We love these Ciroc (pictured right) and Hanson's Vodkas (above). Really tasty fun flavors. They make a wonderful party gift and a very fun addition to your regular alcohol cabinet. You have a lot of play with how you can mix these. We love mixing the Hanson's Organic Ginger Vodka with Kombucha! I know it sound crazy, but the effervescence of the kombucha goes incredibly well with the ginger infused vodka! And that cucumber one is really complex. Let us know what YOU come up with! Please stay away from cheaper Vodka's that are grain based. Be Absolut...pun intended-ly sure that they are NOT Aboslut Vodka! That's just a death wish for the next morning
COGNAC- Cognac is a highly regarded spirit made from grapes from the region of Cognac in France. It is treasured like how American's look at finely aged Scotch. Cognac is sipped in snifters and is a wonderful sipping alcohol. It's the type of things people dip their cigars in to get a slight flavoring of Cognac on the tip. Very refined and is perfect if you wish to indulge in say, a Whisky Sour...make it a Cognac Sour. It won't disappoint. Again, Divino's or even the Argonaut will FOR SURE have something delicious with which you can experiment.
CAMPARI - Campari is a very bitter alcohol, but can be mixed with either club soda or orange juice and enjoyed over ice. It is a beautiful red color and can therefore feel very festive. So consider this one if you are looking for something lovely and red!
CALVADOS - Calvados is actually a distilled cider! Once it is distilled, it is put into oak casks for at least two years and can then be considered calvados. It is compared to a brandy the longer it ages. It can be used to sip between meals to cleanse the pallette or at the finish of a meal as you would a fine brandy. This is a wonderful sipping alcohol!
RUM - It is our wish that you already know that not all rums are created equal. Our favorite go to rum is Zaya (pictured left). Zaya is a blend of 3 to 5 different rums from Trinidad and Tobago, aged in whiskey and bourbon barrels for 12 years. It has a lovely sweet vanilla taste and is not only fantastic over ice plain, but wonderful to splash into Califia's Egg Nog (pictured above).
If you really want to get your party on, try this Navy Strength Rum - Smith and Cross (pictured below). We are not kidding though. This alcohol is for the serious partier. It can be replaced where one might use bourbon. It is very tasty AND very very strong!
AFTER THE PARTY'S OVER
Remember that recovering your gut health can be sped up with a little help from some of our friends...
- Underberg - We love Underbergs at YAO. They are these cute little bottles that you can purchase at YAO in singles ($1.99) or in a box of 3. This fabulous bitters formula is wonderful for assisting in digesting what you have just put down the hatchet. We love mixing an Underberg with some plain seltzer water. Keep in mind this is great for indigestion, over-eating, eating off your diet and over-drinking/hangovers.
- RepairVite - Continue on the RepairVite path! When you return home or are retiring post-party, be sure to mix another scoop of RepairVite into a glass of water and drink that on down. It will most certainly help process things a lot quicker. How does it work? RepairVite contains scientifically researched nutrients, such as flavonoids, antioxidants, plant sterols, glycoproteins, and saponins. The ingredients in RepairVite®(K60), (K63) —including L-glutamine and deglycyrrhizinated licorice extract—support the health of the intestinal lining as it relates to nutritional balance. In addition, slippery elm extract and marshmallow extract soothes and supports the intestines. Aloe vera extract and Spanish moss provide phyto extracts to support healthy gastrointestinal motility and healthy secretion of digestive enzymes, while marigold extract provides natural compounds that may support intestinal comfort.
- ClearVite - ClearVite contains the necessary nutritional compounds and botanical extracts to assist the body in neutralizing and expelling toxins. It is an excellent source of high quality vitamins, minerals, and other nutritional factors. The protein source is derived from rice or pea protein both of which have little likelihood in creating a food sensitivity or allergic response. In addition, it promotes the breakdown and utilization of fat through the enhanced nutrients, herbal compounds that stimulate formation of bile, bile secretion, and elimination, and botanical extracts that support detoxification reactions. So please add a scoop of ClearVite to a glass of juice run through the blender or a smoothie.
- Begin Again - Begin again immediately eating and drinking with attentiveness...staying true to your diet and remembering that YOU are the most important in the equation. Every bite and sip counts. The body can tell down to the most microscopic nibble or sip if you have tasted something that contains food that can set your body off. So please remember how absolutely precious you are. How worth it you are to eat wisely. How your choice to eat in alignment with your health affects all those around you.
- Book an Appointment - Need a little extra TLC? Feel free to call us to set up an appointment. An acupucnture treatment and consult can get you back on your path a lot quicker. Don't forget that what you choose/chose to ate/eat also affect your skin. Know that YAO Beauty has you covered should you need to get your skin back on track as well.
We look forward to supporting you and your family in the new year. We plan to offer some fabulous specials on new year blood labs as well as some fun shopping trip classes to places such as H-Mart and some online webinars that will support you better in your YAO lifestyle.
Wishing you unity in your heart and mind, unity in friendships and community, unity in family and partnership.
All our best,
I am not going to sugar coat this for you. My birth was most definitely not what I wanted...not what I would have planned and certainly not what was expected, but in the end it was my birth story of our beautiful Lucian James Christopher. Our Year of the Monkey, month of the Rabbit baby arrived in his beautiful and oh so special way embraced by the chaos that transpired around him...as you will soon read.
The Arrival of our Lovely Lucian...
Lucian was born on March 9th, 2016 weighing 8 lbs. and 8 oz., an entire pound and a half larger than my daughters. And with that...My uterus is officially closed (figuratively, that is)!
All three of my children were birthed at home. Estee, my first, was a long miserable experience...but as my first, a 16 hours labor was anticipated. My second daughter, Isabella, was easy...painful, but the labor was quick - 2.5 hours start to finish. Lucian was a long and immensely painful 9 hour labor; which I’m sure was due to the fact that he has a gigantic head.
Labor is a funny thing. When I hear of women telling me about their birth plan, I secretly smile. You aren’t in control during labor. You have no idea how it’s going to go down until it happens.
My contractions began around 3:00 pm on March 9th. They were mild and coming between 3-5 minutes. Unfortunately, this rate never increased. I wanted another fast and furious birth...as I had with Isabella, but it wasn’t happening. The extra down time allowed doubt and frustration to build. I had too much time to think about how INSANELY STUPID I WAS TO BE GIVING BIRTH AT HOME WITHOUT AN EPIDURAL. I kept thinking about my sister-in-law who had given birth at 36 weeks to a healthy, five lbs. 4 oz. baby. They induced her in the hospital and then gave her an epidural. She slept during the entire labor and then her beautiful baby girl magically popped out without any pain...or at least that’s how remembered her story as I lay at the foot of my bed in agony.
Throughout the birth I repeated to myself that the pain was temporary and it would soon be over; by hour 7 it felt like eternity. I became doubtful that this situation was actually ever going to be over and wondered if I would spend the rest of my life in labor.
I remember asking my midwife, “Worse case scenario, how much longer can this kid stay in here?” I think she smiled, but I remember her cackling hysterically.
Around hour 8 my midwife and her assistant decided my body needed to be contorted into unnatural positions to facilitate the girth of the aforementioned large head. Finally after an hour of unrelenting pain, Lucian was out.
What happened to my body?
After some intense probing, my midwife reported a large hemorrhoid (GREAT) and to add insult to injury (literally), a first to second degree vaginal tear that she offered to stitch up. For some reason, I imagined her suturing me without anesthesia, which sounded horribly barbaric so I declined. This was a decision I regretted three days later. (I learned at my six week visit, that, yes indeed, she does use a local anesthesia to suture vaginal tears).
Who is this man that I call my husband? And what is this chaos going on around me? Keep me out of it PLEASE!
Then my husband came in. As I lay in bed holding our healthy baby boy, I imagined how thrilled he would be to find out that we now have a son. But he did not seem thrilled, and in fact, he told me that he was exhausted. Evidently, our 4 year old had been puking all evening and he hadn’t slept because he was doing laundry and taking care of her. I actually wanted to punch him in the face but couldn’t because I was tired FROM SPENDING THE LAST 9 HOURS PUSHING OUR GIGANTIC SON OUT OF MY VAGINA. I lay back on my pillow, kissed my son’s sweet head and thought of how nice it would have been to clean up vomit.
My oldest daughter had recovered nicely by morning and so the next 36 hours proceeded without incident. My husband is a pro at cooking for me after labor...I get lots of red meat in the evening...Lucian is an easy baby...everything is moving along nicely. But nearing hour 40, about 9:00 pm, my husband and youngest daughter are showing signs of the Norovirus. Izzy has diarrhea. By 10:00 both she and my husband are projectile vomiting. As I lie in bed listening to them take turns being sick I realize, that for the first time in my life, I’m glad my mother is coming to stay with us.
Nope...I get to be part of it too. Oh LUCKY me!
The next night is my turn. Yes, with my torn and sore perineum, large hemorrhoid and in between nursing sessions, I hobble to the bathroom with my very own bouts of gastroparesis. I instantly regret not getting stitches and mourn any hope that my vagina might some day recover. The worst of the virus is over by 5:00 am and I’m finally able to sleep for a few hours. When I woke up my mom is there to help.
Fast Forward to Present...
Lucian is now 4 months old and everything is back to normal at our house.
I am happy to report that I was able to learn quite a bit from Lucian’s birth.
- First and Second degree vaginal tears can heal without stitches. You must confine yourself to bed rest and keep your legs together for about 3 weeks. Herbal compresses are also vital to the healing process. I used a salve compress made up of Mama Bottom Balm by Earth Mama Angle Baby, Tieh Ta Yao Gin (available at YAO) and YAO Oil (available at YAO) on a cosmetic pad and applied three times a day.
- One large hemorrhoid can indeed be immensely painful. My first attempt at treatment was a frozen Witch Hazel compress; this did nothing. Then, I tried a Chinese hemorrhoid ointment (Mayinglong Musk Hemorrhoid Ointment Cream - available at YAO); the searing pain in my butt was so severe I had to take it off within 15 minutes. I believe this reaction was most likely due to anal fissures that had also occurred during labor. My next step was a Yin Care (available at YAO) compress. This actually took most of the pain away, but after using Yin Care for two days, the size of the hemorrhoid did not reduce. After rifling around in my medicine cabinet, I came upon a tube of Ching Wan Hung a Chinese ointment used for burns. I read the list of ingredients...heat clearing herbs, blood moving herbs, herbs used for trauma...and thought it sounded perfect...and it was! The herbs not only addressed the hemorrhoid but also the fissures. Ching Wan Hung (available at YAO) was the winner; my hemorrhoid shrunk within 24 hours and I was able to sit and poop without pain.
- Chinese herbs and supplements work well for reducing postpartum emotional disorders (PPD). (You can read about my experience here.) Because I had such a difficult time feeling good after my second daughter was born, I wanted to be extremely proactive in preventing any psychological distress this time around. I was diligent in taking herbs for the last 3 months of pregnancy and I also increased my fish oil and kelp (sold at YAO) consumption to reduce inflammation, protect my thyroid and ensure that my body had extra trace minerals and omega 3s to prepare for the hard work of having a baby.
Back on Track...Back at YAO
I am having some invasive thoughts, but not as significantly as I have had in the past. My libido is coming back as well (HOORAY!) and my mind isn’t foggy (uh...that's helpful). I would say the herbs and supplements helped by 65%. I am enjoying getting back to work at YAO. I've been there for nearly 4 months now and am filling up on Saturdays which is fantastic. I love seeing all of you and working closely with your health care. We've had two new YAO Year of the Monkeys born just in August. Double Monkeys! Year of the Monkey and Month of the Monkey!
In case you haven't seen or read the fun articles and interviews done on Denver Natural Moms, be sure to check these out:
Taking Care of YOU
Don't forget that after you've had YOUR baby...the journey of recovering your body is not complete after the baby comes out. There is some healing to be done. It can be our propensity to only care for the baby...taking baby to the requisite well-visits, etc. However, we have found at YAO that in caring for the Mommies we are caring for the whole family. If Mom is well nourished and healthy, baby and family...every one gets regulated and experiences JOY!
SO book your visits with a monthly regularity. Make it your New Mom Well Visit MONTHLY appointment. Looking forward to seeing you soon!