YAO has you covered...we've got discounted services that will have you melting like Chocolate in your jean pocket and products that are perfect for either that awesome little self love gift or for someone special in your life. COME SEE!Read More
A note from Hope McDonald, Massage Therapist - YAO Bodywork 1.10.18
This just in...A sweet friend who was recently diagnosed with cancer - just had the most demoralizing and humiliating experience I think anyone with cancer can have! She was turned away from a spa offering massage services because she has cancer!
This breaks my heart more than you know!!!!! It is my desire to tell the truth, as I know it, about Cancer, Massage and ...COMPASSION!
Cancer is Not Contagious...
Cancer is NOT contagious and nor does it spread when massage is applied. Many years ago, massage therapists were trained NOT to massage anyone with cancer for fear of dislodging tumors and potentially spreading the cancer further via the lymphatic system. Clearly this was of great concern as it was of utmost importance to the therapists to provide healing assistance and certainly not anything that could possibly worsen the condition. It was also an important issue for the profession of massage therapy. Massage therapists have historically been made out to be less than professional at times and therefore making every effort to be as professional and scientific about the application of massage was a high priority.
Sadly some of the people who most needed touch and reassurance are those of us going through great challenges such as cancer. Our friends and loved ones can shy away from those going through cancer due to their own fears not necessarily of contagion, but of fear of loss. This can leave the person most in need of touch and love well out of the loop of love and kindness...and not a good place to be when you are working hard to overcome a massive bodily imbalance.
The New Paradigm of Cancer and Massage
The good news is that a lot of research has been done on the benefits of massage and treating cancer patients and thankfully the old mindset and understanding of cancer and the application of massage has changed! ( From 2011 The Progression of Oncology Massage )
Massage is the main umbrella which houses a multitude of modalities - many of which have been shown to benefit those going through cancer in any stage. Energy work: reflexology, reiki, healing touch, cranio-sacral, MLD - manual lymphatic drainage, SMRT - Selective Muscle Release Technique, etc.... the list goes on. One of my favorite resources around this is the book Medicine Hands by Gayle McDonald. I will hold my hand up... I too was concerned about how massage could affect those battling cancer, then I read this book and my eyes grew wide and my practice changed drastically.
Things to Consider
The important thing to consider when working with cancer patients is their immune system and lymphedema. Certain modalities; e.g. Deep Tissue, NMT, GuaSha, etc.... the deeper and more aggressive modalities, if you will, could potentially cause some nausea, swelling and bruising. Do keep in mind that these types of modalities can cause these symptoms in the cancer free population as well. That being said, it's probably best to request that your therapist go on the gentle side if you are going through cancer treatment. The last thing you may want if you are going through cancer treatment is to be any more nauseated then you may already be!
Um...a Little Compassion?
Compassion goes a long way and once I've discussed a lot of these concerns with my clients and they still wish to receive massage - we work together. We work slow and we work within their comfort zone. Massage and the benefits for cancer patients outweighs some temporary nausea - which in my experience is the worst that has happened.
Many massage therapists are so afraid to work with cancer patients for fear of the old out-dated belief that massage will spread the cancer, that they turn cancer patients away. This is not only not good practice, it is also incredibly humiliating and damaging for the individual approaching the therapist!
Come One Come All
YAO will never turn anyone away. We can always find a happy agreed upon place to do the work that needs to be done. If you need 'healing touch' you will get healing touch! We work with you to assess where you are at in your treatment and how we can work together. Massage is a wonderful healing and nurturing modality for any medical condition!!!! And I commit to you that I will never personally turn you or your friend/loved one away!
Please share this with anyone you know going through cancer or any other therapists that you feel may still be confused on the issue. We look forward to seeing you soon at YAO Bodywork!
We are back again with MORE delectables for you from professional Chef Sherrie Robbins! Today, Sherrie brought in these three fabulous summer salads. By now, you may be noticing that she makes use of the EVOO Marketplace oils and vinegars. If you haven't been playing in the kitchen as a hobby and don't have some of the staples/herbs and spices that are referenced in these recipes, I highly recommend making a trip to the store and getting some. These lovely oils and vinegars can turn a simple dish into something quite spectacular. Below I have referenced 2 local EVOO stores and the address for HMART where you can find some other fun vinegar finds!
My favorite of this bunch was the Roasted Radishes! They were an awesome surprise...I mean, who roasts radishes? I guess Sherrie does! And now, we all will. But truly each of these salads was delicious. Definitely try them all!
Let us know how you like these simple summer salads and any modifications you may try as well!
VINEGAR & OIL SHOPPING
For EVOO vinegars and oils
- EVOO Marketplace, DENVER - 1338 15th St, Denver, CO 80202
- EVOO Marketplace, LITTLETON - 2660 W Main St, Littleton, CO 80120
- Rice, Cane and other fun vinegars on the cheap - HMART 2751 S Parker Rd, Aurora, CO 80014
Roasted French Radishes
by Sherrie Robbins
Cook Time: 30-35 minutes at 425 degrees
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Radishes are a root vegetable like parsnips, turnips and celery. All of which can be delicious roasted! Try roasting your radishes the next time you pull some out of your garden or get them at the Farmer’s Market.
- 2 cups radishes, washed, trimmed, cut in half 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp snipped fresh chives or dried chives
- 1 tsp spicy brown mustard
- 1 tsp maple sugar or maple syrup
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place radish halves in oven proof dish.
- Drizzle on half the olive oil.
- Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- Roast for 30-35 minutes until radishes are tender and cooked through.
- Make a dressing with the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil and remaining ingredients.
- Drizzle over the cooked radishes and serve hot or cold!
Apple Fennel Salad
by Sherrie Robbins
Prep Time: 20-30 minutes
Chill Time: 1 hour
Serves 2-4 people depending on whether it is a side or a main dish
This is a great summertime salad. It is so refreshing, crisp, and light! Perfect for these hot summer days. In the winter I roast this salad in the oven and serve it along side baked sausages, roast pork tenderloin, and baked new potatoes.
- 1 Fennel Bulb, washed,ribs removed, bottom cut off, and cut in half width-wise (save some fronds for garnishing)
- 1 Granny Smith or Honey Crisp Apple, washed, cut in quarters, seeds removed
- 2 Tbsp Peach Balsamic Vinegar from EVVO Marketplace
- 1 Tbsp Lime Olive Oil from EVVO Marketplace Directions
- After washing, removing the ribs and cutting the bottom off the fennel bulb, cut the bulb in half width-wise. Remove the triangular core then slice the fennel as thin as you can.
- Slice the apple quarters thin as well, or you can just dice them in medium sized chunks if you prefer.
- Toss the two ingredients in a bowl, sprinkle in some fennel fronds and add the dressing and give a toss. Refrigerate until serving.
- Combine the Peach Balsamic Vinegar and Lime Olive Oil in a small bowl.
- Add a pinch of black pepper if desired.
- Mix well and add to salad.
This salad does not keep well so plan on eating it the day you make it!
Pickled Carrot Ribbon Salad
by Sherrie Robbins
Prep Time: 20-30 minutes
Chill Time: 3 hours
This salad is so versatile! You can use it as a summer picnic salad or as an accompanying dish for grilled and smoked meats.
You could also add sliced cucumbers to this dish to change it up!
- 2 - 3 large carrots, trimmed, peeled and sliced into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 c water
- 1 c rice wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar 1/4 c sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 sprigs fresh dill
- Wash the carrots, trim the ends, and peel strips the length of the carrot with a vegetable peeler making “ribbons”.
- Drop carrot ribbons in a bowl of ice water so they will get crisp and put in refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- Add the water, vinegar, salt, sugar, and garlic to a small saucepan and heat just to dissolve sugar.
- Let cool; then refrigerate.
- Remove carrot ribbons from the ice water, drain, and put in a serving bowl.
- Add the chilled dressing and toss.
- Sprinkle a few torn leaves from the sprigs of dill and serve!
This salad will keep for several days in the refrigerator so you can make a big batch!
One of the things you learn when you change your choices about food intake, specifically removing gluten, dairy and eggs, is that what we have considered to be "normal" foods for certain meals can seem nearly impossible. YAO has teamed up with professional Chef Sherrie Robbins, to present some easy meals each month. Sherrie makes use of simple fresh ingredients including tasty herbs and ingredients that support not only YAO's love of beauty and our joy of eating delicious food but it also supports what we do in regards to Chinese Medicine and bringing your physical embodiment back into balance.
Today we are excited to share with you some out of the box ways to think about your breakfast. A little side benefit for us is that Sherrie brings these delectables by YAO for us to try! Oh darn! We can solidly say that these 2 breakfasts ROCK! Please give them a try. And do let us know what you think and if you make any modifications, tell us what you do as well!
Classic Breakfast BLT ala YAO
by Sherrie Robbins
Makes 2 servings
- 2 slices of Cracklebred crackers (alternatively, a slice of Sami's bread toasted)
- 1/2 avocado, pitted, sliced thin or mashed (Remove Avocado if you are on the FODMAP diet)
- 1/2 c Kite Hill Chive Almond Cheese
- 4-6 grape tomatoes, washed and chopped
- 1/2 c arugula, washed and patted dry
- 2 Tbsp bacon bits or 2 slices of cooked bacon
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1 Tbsp of fresh parsley, washed and diced Salt and Pepper to taste.
Spread the almond cheese on the crackers/toast.Lay down a few leaves of the washed Arugula. Add the chopped tomatoes.
Top with the bacon bits / sliced bacon
Add the slices avocados.
Drizzle on the lemon olive oil.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Sprinkle on parsley garnish.
Cracklebred can be hard to find. Sherrie found it at the Longmont Cheese Emporium.
The buyer at Vitamin Cottage told her they would order it in if you could give them the product name. I think they used to carry it a while ago.
The “Med” Mediterranean Breakfast ala YAO
by Sherrie Robbins
Makes 2 servings
- 4 slices of Cracklebred, Rice Cakes or other Gluten Free Cracker or Bread 1/2 cup chopped,
- pitted olives (any kind you like)
- 1/2 cup Kite Hill Plain Almond Cheese
- Dash of red chili pepper flakes to taste
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Olive Oil from EVVO Marketplace, or your favorite olive oil 2 Sprigs of fresh oregano, leaves removed from stem and diced
- I tablespoon of toasted pine nuts
- Spread the almond cheese on the crackers.
- Add the chopped olives, lemon olive oil, and red chili pepper flakes together in a small bowl and mix.
- Add the olive mixture to each cracker.
- Top with the diced oregano and toasted pine nuts. (to toast the pine nuts place them in a skillet over medium high heat and shake them around in the pan until they begin to brown)
I love to use the Cracklebred as open faced “sandwiches” with a variety of toppings! The possibilities are endless. Get creative and let us know what you came up with.
I named this treat “The Med” for a couple of reasons. Olives are a great source of fat, anti- oxidants, vitamin E, and contain anti-inflammatory properties. But they are high in calories so you can’t just chow down on a boat load of these little lovelies without thinking about calories too!
Off we go to EXPO WEST 2017...
We know you are ready for some new and exciting food ideas on your YAO diet...
And we are ready to forge every single booth on your behalf starting FRIDAY! Every year, we head back to the Natural Products EXPO WEST in Anaheim to not only find new exciting goodies for you to taste and purchase right at YAO, but to also find out about the top new exciting things you will be finding at your local grocers: Whole Foods, Natural Grocers, Sprouts and eventually trickling into King Soopers, Target and Safeway as well.
OUR GUIDELINES ACROSS THE BOARD:
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
- Egg Free
- Non-GMO/Project Verified (if possible)
- No Corn/Soy (if possible)
- Low in sugar (if possible)
- Local company (if possible)
- Locally grown ingredients (if possible)
Though these are our ideal criteria, we also recognize that you need options from which to select at the store and not everything will meet all of these. The top 5 are the most important and the others listed are vegan icing on the gluten free cake. So we use these as GUIDELINES in our selection process and not hard and fast criteria.
Items we will be looking for to have at YAO:
- New Bars
- Jerkies/Meat Sticks
- Tasty new Chocolate bars/Candies
- Treats that can be enjoyed by those of you needing a sugar free option!
Sharing our findings with you...SnapChat & Other
We know you want to be a part of this exciting adventure, so we have decided to give it a go and use some social media arenas to keep you up to date on our journey through the show. We are new to SnapChat, but after a successful rudimentary "story" today, we are ready to rock and roll. However, since we are new to it...we will definitely still be posting on our Facebook, Instagram & Twitter accounts.
Please see our SnapCode and Social Medial Links below.
We want to hear from YOU...Be a part of our conversation at EXPO
We would love to hear from you as we are going and will be monitoring all of our social media, so please let us know what you like...don't like...and want more of by commenting/liking/loving our posts.
See you online!
Every year we hear from a few of our most trusted and regular patients how frustrated they are with how insurance does not cover what we do at YAO. We sure do hear you. We understand that many of you consider YAO Clinic to be your place of true primary care. We are the place you first call when anything goes wrong...the first sign of a sore throat, a flu that seems to have lingered too many days, when a family member checks into the hospital for surgery, etc. We're there for the unexpected side effects of beauty enhancement surgeries (loss of sensation in the breast, or around the areas of incision for nips and tucks). And.....YAO has also been there as your trusted Chinese Medical Hospital when sudden and unexpected events occur such as stroke.
We know you pay for YAO out of your own pocket directly and we recommend you consider the following criteria when looking at your options in Open Enrollment as well as thoroughly read through our commitment to you included here as well.
- Do a cost analysis part 1 - Look over your past year's out of pocket expenses that you paid toward your health plan. This should include all co-pays and all deductibles that need to be met.
- Cost analysis part 2 - Pool together the monthly cost for your insurance coverage.
- Cost analysis part 3 - pool together parts one and two to see your total out of pocket cost.
- What are your physical conditions that may contribute to the need for western medical care? - Sit down and honestly list the things you might feel dependent upon as it relates to your western medical care. Pregnancy, Aging, upcoming surgeries/procedures, medications? Do you have circumstances that you feel would contribute to the likelihood of your need for this type of care?
- How much money do you spend on your wellness? - Tally up how much money you spend on taking good care of yourself. This can be the difference in your grocery bill from generic food to organic. It can be herbs and supplements spent at other vitamin and herb stores, etc.
- How much money do you spend at YAO? - Tally that all up. What have you spent on herbs and medical/wellness appointments at YAO? This can include acupuncture, massage and facials...they are all part of your own wellness.
- Now look at your own personal big picture - Look at your fear and comfort factors. Is there a way you can afford to increase your deductible so that you are more in the range of catastrophic coverage and invest that money more in your own health and wellness?...buying good food...choosing practitioners that assist in supporting your health?
- What's the difference in plans that have doctors you already use or are comfortable with? - If yo down grade your plan, you may need to go to an in-network doctor/s with whom you are unfamiliar. Consider what you are willing to pay to stay with the doctor/s that you already know.
- Which doctor/s or networks might work best with what you are doing at YAO? We are taking this on with a vengeance a YAO. We want to work more closely with your other providers. Creating a care contracts with your other providers. So consider this if your choice of provider is definitely part of your decision.
- And the last and most bold...Do you need to have western medical insurance? This may seem very bold and it is! But our current state of health care is beginning to beg us to actually ask this question. Could you financially handle a catastrophe with your own resources? If so, know what the penalties are for tax purposes for choosing not to have health insurance before you make this bold choice to take this adventurous journey. But if you are a YAO regular and decide to do this...let us know! We would like to be sure we know that you are EXTRA counting on us to be there! #YAOlifer - If you are interested in doing this but unsure, please let us know your thoughts and feelings around this. Let's open this conversation together. Feel free to email Margaret at [email protected] But do remember our scope of practice is only Chinese Medicine; so you really need to be honest with yourself about what you may need as far as western medicine is concerned.
Our Commitment to our YAO Family
At YAO, we consider our patients part of our YAO Family. We have taken the true ancient models of how Chinese Medicine was applied in Confucian Societies and attempted in our best ways (with constant room for improvement) to apply it to today's day and age. It's our job to keep you well. To keep you empowered in your own daily life and choices that support your health. Therefore, here is our commitment to you:
- We are here to stay! - YAO has no plans of packing up and leaving. We are here to stay and Daniel is very carefully training a staff to support the YAO Family of patients longterm.
- Keeping care affordable - We will make every effort to keep your services and YAO Market prices affordable. We are constantly coming up with new ideas for how we can group things or offer discounts throughout the year to make your regular care and some specialty offers within your budget.
- Creating more availability- We know you have busy schedules and busy lives and it is our commitment to you to come up withe even more ways to make ourselves available and accessible to you both at the clinic and while you are away.
Turning your blues to greens!
It is our wish that having a quick look here will help you not only bring more vibrant green growth into your life but will also keep more of those green bills in your pocket. We look forward to working with you as a true partner in your health, illness and wellness!
How to stay true to your YAO Diet, watch out for holiday party challenges, keep it real and feel great!
So you've been asked to be on what seems like the never ending YAO diet...removing out gluten, dairy and eggs among other things...and you're probably wondering how in the world you are going to maintain all of that during the upcoming holiday parties.
Never fear, we've put together a good strategy that could be of great assistance.
Putting YOU first in the equation
Yes indeed, put yourself first by all means. Here's the scoop. During the holidays we want to come together with family and friends that love and care about us and that we love and care about also. The fact is that if we do not care for ourselves properly we won't either be feeling good enough to care for our loved ones or we won't be around as long this lifetime to care for them or for them to care for us! It may seem incredibly self-centered at first to design your meals and party going strategy around your dietary requirements, but in actuality, it's in thinking about everyone else that you will realize that caring for yourself is extremely important.
Party Going Tips
So now that you're committed to YOU, how are you going to get through those holiday parties? We've put several options together for you. But here's the scoop. If you find something fabulous you want to share with others...do it on our YAO FB page! I (Margaret, here) can approve your post. So please post your fun drinks or party ideas you have come up with for the holidays. So like our FB page and put #YAOholidaycheer . We will also keep you informed of our newest latest greatest discoveries on FB and Instagram in real time for sure...we will try to add to our Twitter and Pinterest as well! Soooooo... here we go....
BEFORE YOU GO
- Eat before you go: That's right! Eat the food that you enjoy and is within your dietary requirement guidelines that supports your body before you even leave the house. You will feel better when you show up and better throughout the time you are at the party
- Repairvite it up before you go: Come by YAO to stock up on RepairVite and have a scoop of Repairvite in a glass of water before you go and also after the party. RepairVite is wonderful just in case something gets in your body that is NOT in alignment with your body's best interest, the RepairVite can stave off a lot of the long lasting not so fun reactions your body may have including but not limited to: bloating/gas/diahrea, hangover, mind fog and more .
- Bring something for yourself to eat/share: If you are going to a party where other's might show up with goodies, then by all means bring something tasty that fits into your dietary regimen that you can both share and eat for yourself. Something that will satisfy you and be a treat. You don't have to tell anyone why you brought it or why you are only eating that item. They likely won't even be paying attention. But this allows you to feel social and eat confidently during the party. We have made some alcoholic suggestions below, but another great easy party treat is YAO's Sami's Chips accompanied by a round of Miyoko's Creamery Cheese. This is a vegan cheese that is very high end and quite tasty. Nooch market can special order for you, but our favorite by far is the fig leaf wrapped round (pictured at right). Other rounds of Miyoko's can be found at Whole Foods markets around town!
- Bring something you can drink for yourself and to share: If there's one thing Daniel and the entire YAO Team for that matter, won't want you to sacrifice, it's a good time. And for many, a good time during a holiday party is going to involve a little alcohol. But not all alcohol's are created equal. Many are grain based alcohols. And before we rev this blog article up a notch, let's be sure to mention our friendly neighborhood liquor store, Divino's. We LOVE Divino's and often find ourselves browsing their many goodies. They DO stock the Glutenator (below) and several other of the cider's we love under Cider. So if you're by YAO for an appointment or goodies...swing by Divino's after and have a look!
BEER - If you like beer, go out and find The Glutenator (pictured here) and bring a few Glutenators or other gluten free, NOT just gluten reduced, beers along with you.
CIDER - There are some truly fabulous cider's on the market right now. Try a hard ciders like this one Samuel Smith's Organic (pictured right). Divino's has two TOP NOTCH cider's that are above and beyond AMAZING. These gems come with a champagn cork and cage and are in a tall Champagn bottle. Super festive! And they are...
- CAVE DE LA LOTERIE- CIDRE FERMIER ($14 at Divino's)
- CIDRERIE DU VULCAIN - TRANSPRANCE CIDRE ($24 at Divino's)
TEQUILA - Our absolute all time favorite tequila is Maestro Dobel Tequila (pictured left). It's awesome. But the main thing you want to remember is that some of the cheaper tequila's like Sauza and Hornitos are mixed with grain alcohols. So don't bother touching them. You absolutely will not feel well. There are a TON of other fabulous tequila's and we encourage you to learn, browse, taste. We enjoy sipping these fancier tequilas, serving them over ice or heck...just taking a shot with some tasty meyer lemons!
A super affordable tequila that is one of our staples is Olmeca Altos Reposada. This can be as low as $33 for 1.75 liters. It's great not only for sipping but a fabulous mixing tequila. We enjoy mixing this with Califia's Tart Cherry Lemonade. It looks super festive and tastes like a fun Margarita!
Also try Hacienda Vieja, Corralejo or Cazadores -we enjoy all of those in Reposada!
VODKA - Vodka's are awesome too, but they have to be either a potato vodka or there are also some grape based ones. We love these Ciroc (pictured right) and Hanson's Vodkas (above). Really tasty fun flavors. They make a wonderful party gift and a very fun addition to your regular alcohol cabinet. You have a lot of play with how you can mix these. We love mixing the Hanson's Organic Ginger Vodka with Kombucha! I know it sound crazy, but the effervescence of the kombucha goes incredibly well with the ginger infused vodka! And that cucumber one is really complex. Let us know what YOU come up with! Please stay away from cheaper Vodka's that are grain based. Be Absolut...pun intended-ly sure that they are NOT Aboslut Vodka! That's just a death wish for the next morning
COGNAC- Cognac is a highly regarded spirit made from grapes from the region of Cognac in France. It is treasured like how American's look at finely aged Scotch. Cognac is sipped in snifters and is a wonderful sipping alcohol. It's the type of things people dip their cigars in to get a slight flavoring of Cognac on the tip. Very refined and is perfect if you wish to indulge in say, a Whisky Sour...make it a Cognac Sour. It won't disappoint. Again, Divino's or even the Argonaut will FOR SURE have something delicious with which you can experiment.
CAMPARI - Campari is a very bitter alcohol, but can be mixed with either club soda or orange juice and enjoyed over ice. It is a beautiful red color and can therefore feel very festive. So consider this one if you are looking for something lovely and red!
CALVADOS - Calvados is actually a distilled cider! Once it is distilled, it is put into oak casks for at least two years and can then be considered calvados. It is compared to a brandy the longer it ages. It can be used to sip between meals to cleanse the pallette or at the finish of a meal as you would a fine brandy. This is a wonderful sipping alcohol!
RUM - It is our wish that you already know that not all rums are created equal. Our favorite go to rum is Zaya (pictured left). Zaya is a blend of 3 to 5 different rums from Trinidad and Tobago, aged in whiskey and bourbon barrels for 12 years. It has a lovely sweet vanilla taste and is not only fantastic over ice plain, but wonderful to splash into Califia's Egg Nog (pictured above).
If you really want to get your party on, try this Navy Strength Rum - Smith and Cross (pictured below). We are not kidding though. This alcohol is for the serious partier. It can be replaced where one might use bourbon. It is very tasty AND very very strong!
AFTER THE PARTY'S OVER
Remember that recovering your gut health can be sped up with a little help from some of our friends...
- Underberg - We love Underbergs at YAO. They are these cute little bottles that you can purchase at YAO in singles ($1.99) or in a box of 3. This fabulous bitters formula is wonderful for assisting in digesting what you have just put down the hatchet. We love mixing an Underberg with some plain seltzer water. Keep in mind this is great for indigestion, over-eating, eating off your diet and over-drinking/hangovers.
- RepairVite - Continue on the RepairVite path! When you return home or are retiring post-party, be sure to mix another scoop of RepairVite into a glass of water and drink that on down. It will most certainly help process things a lot quicker. How does it work? RepairVite contains scientifically researched nutrients, such as flavonoids, antioxidants, plant sterols, glycoproteins, and saponins. The ingredients in RepairVite®(K60), (K63) —including L-glutamine and deglycyrrhizinated licorice extract—support the health of the intestinal lining as it relates to nutritional balance. In addition, slippery elm extract and marshmallow extract soothes and supports the intestines. Aloe vera extract and Spanish moss provide phyto extracts to support healthy gastrointestinal motility and healthy secretion of digestive enzymes, while marigold extract provides natural compounds that may support intestinal comfort.
- ClearVite - ClearVite contains the necessary nutritional compounds and botanical extracts to assist the body in neutralizing and expelling toxins. It is an excellent source of high quality vitamins, minerals, and other nutritional factors. The protein source is derived from rice or pea protein both of which have little likelihood in creating a food sensitivity or allergic response. In addition, it promotes the breakdown and utilization of fat through the enhanced nutrients, herbal compounds that stimulate formation of bile, bile secretion, and elimination, and botanical extracts that support detoxification reactions. So please add a scoop of ClearVite to a glass of juice run through the blender or a smoothie.
- Begin Again - Begin again immediately eating and drinking with attentiveness...staying true to your diet and remembering that YOU are the most important in the equation. Every bite and sip counts. The body can tell down to the most microscopic nibble or sip if you have tasted something that contains food that can set your body off. So please remember how absolutely precious you are. How worth it you are to eat wisely. How your choice to eat in alignment with your health affects all those around you.
- Book an Appointment - Need a little extra TLC? Feel free to call us to set up an appointment. An acupucnture treatment and consult can get you back on your path a lot quicker. Don't forget that what you choose/chose to ate/eat also affect your skin. Know that YAO Beauty has you covered should you need to get your skin back on track as well.
We look forward to supporting you and your family in the new year. We plan to offer some fabulous specials on new year blood labs as well as some fun shopping trip classes to places such as H-Mart and some online webinars that will support you better in your YAO lifestyle.
Wishing you unity in your heart and mind, unity in friendships and community, unity in family and partnership.
All our best,
I am not going to sugar coat this for you. My birth was most definitely not what I wanted...not what I would have planned and certainly not what was expected, but in the end it was my birth story of our beautiful Lucian James Christopher. Our Year of the Monkey, month of the Rabbit baby arrived in his beautiful and oh so special way embraced by the chaos that transpired around him...as you will soon read.
The Arrival of our Lovely Lucian...
Lucian was born on March 9th, 2016 weighing 8 lbs. and 8 oz., an entire pound and a half larger than my daughters. And with that...My uterus is officially closed (figuratively, that is)!
All three of my children were birthed at home. Estee, my first, was a long miserable experience...but as my first, a 16 hours labor was anticipated. My second daughter, Isabella, was easy...painful, but the labor was quick - 2.5 hours start to finish. Lucian was a long and immensely painful 9 hour labor; which I’m sure was due to the fact that he has a gigantic head.
Labor is a funny thing. When I hear of women telling me about their birth plan, I secretly smile. You aren’t in control during labor. You have no idea how it’s going to go down until it happens.
My contractions began around 3:00 pm on March 9th. They were mild and coming between 3-5 minutes. Unfortunately, this rate never increased. I wanted another fast and furious birth...as I had with Isabella, but it wasn’t happening. The extra down time allowed doubt and frustration to build. I had too much time to think about how INSANELY STUPID I WAS TO BE GIVING BIRTH AT HOME WITHOUT AN EPIDURAL. I kept thinking about my sister-in-law who had given birth at 36 weeks to a healthy, five lbs. 4 oz. baby. They induced her in the hospital and then gave her an epidural. She slept during the entire labor and then her beautiful baby girl magically popped out without any pain...or at least that’s how remembered her story as I lay at the foot of my bed in agony.
Throughout the birth I repeated to myself that the pain was temporary and it would soon be over; by hour 7 it felt like eternity. I became doubtful that this situation was actually ever going to be over and wondered if I would spend the rest of my life in labor.
I remember asking my midwife, “Worse case scenario, how much longer can this kid stay in here?” I think she smiled, but I remember her cackling hysterically.
Around hour 8 my midwife and her assistant decided my body needed to be contorted into unnatural positions to facilitate the girth of the aforementioned large head. Finally after an hour of unrelenting pain, Lucian was out.
What happened to my body?
After some intense probing, my midwife reported a large hemorrhoid (GREAT) and to add insult to injury (literally), a first to second degree vaginal tear that she offered to stitch up. For some reason, I imagined her suturing me without anesthesia, which sounded horribly barbaric so I declined. This was a decision I regretted three days later. (I learned at my six week visit, that, yes indeed, she does use a local anesthesia to suture vaginal tears).
Who is this man that I call my husband? And what is this chaos going on around me? Keep me out of it PLEASE!
Then my husband came in. As I lay in bed holding our healthy baby boy, I imagined how thrilled he would be to find out that we now have a son. But he did not seem thrilled, and in fact, he told me that he was exhausted. Evidently, our 4 year old had been puking all evening and he hadn’t slept because he was doing laundry and taking care of her. I actually wanted to punch him in the face but couldn’t because I was tired FROM SPENDING THE LAST 9 HOURS PUSHING OUR GIGANTIC SON OUT OF MY VAGINA. I lay back on my pillow, kissed my son’s sweet head and thought of how nice it would have been to clean up vomit.
My oldest daughter had recovered nicely by morning and so the next 36 hours proceeded without incident. My husband is a pro at cooking for me after labor...I get lots of red meat in the evening...Lucian is an easy baby...everything is moving along nicely. But nearing hour 40, about 9:00 pm, my husband and youngest daughter are showing signs of the Norovirus. Izzy has diarrhea. By 10:00 both she and my husband are projectile vomiting. As I lie in bed listening to them take turns being sick I realize, that for the first time in my life, I’m glad my mother is coming to stay with us.
Nope...I get to be part of it too. Oh LUCKY me!
The next night is my turn. Yes, with my torn and sore perineum, large hemorrhoid and in between nursing sessions, I hobble to the bathroom with my very own bouts of gastroparesis. I instantly regret not getting stitches and mourn any hope that my vagina might some day recover. The worst of the virus is over by 5:00 am and I’m finally able to sleep for a few hours. When I woke up my mom is there to help.
Fast Forward to Present...
Lucian is now 4 months old and everything is back to normal at our house.
I am happy to report that I was able to learn quite a bit from Lucian’s birth.
- First and Second degree vaginal tears can heal without stitches. You must confine yourself to bed rest and keep your legs together for about 3 weeks. Herbal compresses are also vital to the healing process. I used a salve compress made up of Mama Bottom Balm by Earth Mama Angle Baby, Tieh Ta Yao Gin (available at YAO) and YAO Oil (available at YAO) on a cosmetic pad and applied three times a day.
- One large hemorrhoid can indeed be immensely painful. My first attempt at treatment was a frozen Witch Hazel compress; this did nothing. Then, I tried a Chinese hemorrhoid ointment (Mayinglong Musk Hemorrhoid Ointment Cream - available at YAO); the searing pain in my butt was so severe I had to take it off within 15 minutes. I believe this reaction was most likely due to anal fissures that had also occurred during labor. My next step was a Yin Care (available at YAO) compress. This actually took most of the pain away, but after using Yin Care for two days, the size of the hemorrhoid did not reduce. After rifling around in my medicine cabinet, I came upon a tube of Ching Wan Hung a Chinese ointment used for burns. I read the list of ingredients...heat clearing herbs, blood moving herbs, herbs used for trauma...and thought it sounded perfect...and it was! The herbs not only addressed the hemorrhoid but also the fissures. Ching Wan Hung (available at YAO) was the winner; my hemorrhoid shrunk within 24 hours and I was able to sit and poop without pain.
- Chinese herbs and supplements work well for reducing postpartum emotional disorders (PPD). (You can read about my experience here.) Because I had such a difficult time feeling good after my second daughter was born, I wanted to be extremely proactive in preventing any psychological distress this time around. I was diligent in taking herbs for the last 3 months of pregnancy and I also increased my fish oil and kelp (sold at YAO) consumption to reduce inflammation, protect my thyroid and ensure that my body had extra trace minerals and omega 3s to prepare for the hard work of having a baby.
Back on Track...Back at YAO
I am having some invasive thoughts, but not as significantly as I have had in the past. My libido is coming back as well (HOORAY!) and my mind isn’t foggy (uh...that's helpful). I would say the herbs and supplements helped by 65%. I am enjoying getting back to work at YAO. I've been there for nearly 4 months now and am filling up on Saturdays which is fantastic. I love seeing all of you and working closely with your health care. We've had two new YAO Year of the Monkeys born just in August. Double Monkeys! Year of the Monkey and Month of the Monkey!
In case you haven't seen or read the fun articles and interviews done on Denver Natural Moms, be sure to check these out:
Taking Care of YOU
Don't forget that after you've had YOUR baby...the journey of recovering your body is not complete after the baby comes out. There is some healing to be done. It can be our propensity to only care for the baby...taking baby to the requisite well-visits, etc. However, we have found at YAO that in caring for the Mommies we are caring for the whole family. If Mom is well nourished and healthy, baby and family...every one gets regulated and experiences JOY!
SO book your visits with a monthly regularity. Make it your New Mom Well Visit MONTHLY appointment. Looking forward to seeing you soon!
People are talking! Yes Michael Phelps as well as many other athletes not only receive massage therapy to assist in recovery and keeping their bodies working in top form, but they also receive cupping. When you are working your body hard the following things become REALLY important:
- Increased blood flow
- Reduction in pain
- Speedier recovery time
- Healing of any injuries
So where can you try it? Of course at YAO! This is a no brainer...add on a 15 minute cupping session for $19.99 onto your YAO Signature Massage with Joseph and BAM you're set!
Here's the one thing...people are OBSESSED with taking pictures of their cupping marks. We ask one simple favor of you. If you do decide to take a picture of your YAO cupping marks, would you #YAOClinic #CuppingatYAO? We want to see too! Hee hee hee.
Call us today to book your appointment 303-777-7891.
It's true. Cleopatra was likely the first to harness the power of the peel! It is said that she bathed daily in sour goat's milk which we now know to be the source of what we use at present for a Lactic Peel.
We are thrilled to announce our addition of 2 new Botanical Cosmetic Resurfacing Peels at YAO along with our fabulous OxygenRx treatment.
INTRODUCING...Botanical Cosmetic Resurfacing
The Lactic Peel (The Cleo Peel)
This peel is a natural, mild peel which will improves the skins' texture, gives the skin some clarity, softens fine lines and gives a wonderful glow.You will have no downtime with this peel and you can wear makeup the next day.This peel is suitable for most skin types and ideal for aging, dry and sensitive skin including rosacea. Contraindications for this peel: Hypersensitivity, problems with being allergic to anything, compromised lipid barrier, pregnantor nursing clients, open wounds, herpetic breakouts, if you have been on Accutane (acne drug) within the past year. If you are on any product that is Retin-A, Renova or Vitamin A you must stop it one week before the treatment.
The MandeliClear Peel (Acids derived from Almonds and Cherries):
An award winning peel that helps lighten acne scars, melasma, age spots and create wonderful results for anti-aging. You will have 3 to 4 days right after this peel of physical peeling. No activities what would cause excessive sweating for the first 24 hours. No sun at all for the first week and after that you need to make sure you protect your skin for about a month because you will be a little photo sensitive. This peel is suitable for all skin types however darker skin types must use some lightening products 1 week before the treatment. Contraindications for this peel: Aspirin or salicylic sensitivity, pregnant and nursing women, open wounds or lesions. If you have been on Accutane (acne drug) within the past year. If you are on any product that is Retin-A, Renova or Vitamin A you must stop using it one week before the treatment.
That all being said…both these peels provide the correct light amount of “damage” to remind your skin how to generate cellular function that acts YOUNG again! We are thrilled to be using Circadia together with OSEA as they are botanically based, filled with vitamins and stem cells that are extracted and combined at a highly technical level to give your skin not only a deep cosmetic resurfacing, but also the nourishment and stimulation it needs to function with youth.
SCHEDULING is available now through mid-May for
Botanical Cosmetic Resurfacing...
For both the Lactic and the MandeliClear Peel, it is important to schedule prior to Colorado’s sunny months and damaging UV exposure. You are more than welcome to use your regular YAO Signature Facial should you have a package or a Beauty Membership plan and we would simply add on the Clinical Product Fee of $20. Yes…that’s it only $20! Pretty great. See BELOW...
After mid-May, you can schedule an OxygenRX Treatment to continue your anti-aging skincare goals...
This treatment creates wonderful results for any client and especially beneficial for those suffering with Acne and Rosacea. It will assist with clearing acne and calming, red, irritated skin. The anti-aging benefits for the skin include clarity, firmness and a glow. This professional treatment is suitable for anyone. Contraindications: Allergy to citric acid of any kind (oranges, lemons and grapefruit).
When you call to schedule either a YAO Signature Facial (55 minutes for $110) or a Yao Extended Facial (75 minutes for $140), you can simply add one of our options for Botanical Cosmetic Resurfacing OR our Oxygen Rx Treatment for an additional $20 charge.
We suggest booking a 15 minute consultation in order to more appropriately assist you and your skin in which treatment would be best for you. If you have any questions or you are ready to treat yourself, a friend or family member to these relaxing and effective exfoliation services:
- Call YAO at 303-777-7891 and book your FREE 15 minute consultation
- OR Request an appointment HERE online.
You will experience your own body’s true ability for cellular regeneration without chemicals or toxins…simply harnessing the true power of nature reminding your skin to connect with that inner playful child in all of us…and what better time of year than SPRING!
I look forward to seeing you and thank you for the opportunity to helping you achieving your very best skin!
Esthetician, YAO Beauty
And...enjoy following the YAO Beauty board on Pinterest.
Join YAO Bodywork's Massage Therapist, Joseph Peters at The Purple Party hosted by Purple Couch Presents on Thursday night, March 24th into the wee hours of the morning at The Glitter Dome. Purple Couch brings together a beautiful fusion of Art, Music and Community. Joseph will be there to support any tired bodies or anyone who simply needs a little chill out time. Over 700 people will be attending. Looks fantastic! He hopes to see you there!
I suppose for the frequent YAO visitor, it's no surprise that we finally write this article up to address the incredible aspect of the YAO time warp. We have several types of patients and we seriously love you no matter where you are on this spectrum. We have those of you who come in knowing that you will likely wait 30 minutes for your appointment and those of you who are really confused about having to wait for more than 15 minutes. It has been a difficult task for us to explain when you come in, especially for the first time, to YAO. So here's our best foot forward on explaining the behind the scenes happenings that contribute to a delay in the start of your appointment.
THINGS THAT CONTRIBUTE TO DELAY
WHO COMES TO YAO
At YAO we are truly a small Chinese Medicine Hospital. On any day, we have patients coming in with very complicated cases. We may have a patient with Parkinson's Disease in one room, someone just having suffered a stroke in another, a stage 4 breast cancer patient in another, and possibly a new mom having labor induced in yet another room. Follow that with the next turn over of patients. Now we have a severe back injury with slipped disc patient in immense pain, someone going through emotional distress due to divorce that is wreaking havoc on their entire body, a new mom with intense post-partum depression, a couple looking to conceive, and someone who suffered the death of a significant other suffering from grief.
HOW WE BOOK APPOINTMENTS & PAYMENT STRUCTURE
Much like a hospital emergency room, when we book appointments we can not control who is coming in for what services ahead of time. And clearly, we can not always book the appropriate amount of time that someone will need to stay as you can see by the variety of cases listed above. This will of course, back up the following patient's appointment time. We always know that our initial visit appointments will take at least 2 hours, though sometimes it goes a lot longer. Today we had one that lasted for 3 hours. For everyone else coming for an appointment that will likely include an acupuncture treatment, we book one hour. Now depending on what is going on, they may be asked to stay longer. We NEVER charge more for a regular one hour acupuncture appointment even if it goes on for 3 hours. Never! So the good news is that even when your appointment begins late, ALL patients are created equal. EVERYONE gets their turn. EVERYONE gets seen for the entire time they booked their appointment if not longer. In fact, you usually get a huge bang for your buck her at YAO as we won't let you leave until there has been a shift. Until something is better.
If a patient is scheduled for a consult appointment where they are reviewing the case together with the doctor and the doctor is checking in on them and possibly reformulating herbs, we do charge by time. The time not only includes the time that there is discussion between the doctor and patient, but also the time allotted for formulating the new medicine. This can be frustrating for some patients that may feel as if they saw the doctor for 15 minutes, but paid for a 30 minute consult. It takes the doctors time to formulate the specially made compound tailor made just for them. However, more often than not, we will charge for a 15 minute appointment that may last 25 minutes.
HOW WE ARE DIFFERENT
It is entirely possible that you have been to other acupuncture clinics. At most Western Chinese medicine private practices, you will likely start your appointment on time and you will likely have it end on time if not before it is supposed to end. The western model for Chinese Medicine has also been integrated into the spa industry and therefore the expectation as to how an appointment should be booked and timely can be different than how we apply it at our small hospital here at YAO.
In Traditional Chinese Medicine, the treatment protocol is based on a socialized medicine practice whereby patients are able to afford coming back every other week, several times a week, and sometimes daily. At YAO we have worked diligently in educating our staff to be able to treat the condition more effectively in one session. That means, that we do have our patients sometimes stay longer to be sure the treatment takes. In other practices, they will have the patient leave when the time is up regardless as to if the treatment has truly taken effect. They find it to be acceptable if you have sometimes only 30-40% improvement. We do not agree. We get the job done out of respect for the fact that American's are paying out of pocket. We know that most of you also are additionally paying for insurance that covers other aspects of your medical care. Therefore, we want you to be well quickly. We don't want you stuck coming to us for 8 visits when we can get the treatment done in 1 -2 times.
Our cost, therefore of $129 for a regular hour session, is way more cost effective than $40 per session at a community acupuncture clinic where you need to come back 8-10 times. The cost of that would be up to $400 at 10 times over 5 weeks. I am not sure, but I think YAO clinic just saved you a bundle there. If we have you come one time and fix you, you save $271. If it takes 2 times we save you $142. And we save you time. You get it done faster and cheaper here at YAO.
Additionally, we do not just do acupuncture which is how many practices are oriented. There are some truly fabulous practices that have wonderful acupuncture technicians. Our practitioners not only can provide very high quality acupuncture with incredible amounts of education supporting their knowledge, they also work the many other branches of Chinese Medicine. The main other one we use at YAO is Chinese Internal Medicine. We are fortunate as a larger clinic to have the largest granular herbal pharmacy in Colorado. This means that our practitioners have access to a full range of options when it comes to creating your compounded herbal formula. At YAO you will further find that we will often employ aspects of the Feng Shui of your house or office or possibly your astrological birth information...we may refer you to our Bodywork department for Cupping or Gua Sha as well.
COST OF HERBS/CHINESE INTERNAL MEDICINE
Herbal formulations or patented herbs can be an additional cost to your visit. Just like a western medical doctor may refer you to a pharmacy to fill a formula, we will do something of the same. Due to the fact that we are a Chinese Herbal Pharmacy we are able to house the pharmacy in our same facility thereby making it convenient to have your prescription filled right here at YAO. We strive to keep the cost of our herbs at a reasonable price. That means that we have done our homework. When we have searched around at other clinics in the area, we simply have the best prices for you. We constantly have people streaming through the door telling us that our prices are cheaper than the places out on Federal.
Not everyone receives an herbal formula, and you always have the right to refuse filling the formula. The one tricky part is that we can not give you a cost -estimate prior to filling it. We can give you a range, but it depends on how many days we are filling it for and also what herbs end up being prescribed. Different herbs are different costs. We charge by the gram, which is standard, for all of our granular herbal formulations. It can range anywhere from $25 - $125, but sometimes less and sometimes more. In general, we really work with our patients to make dietary changes prior to recommending herbs; however, if we are dealing with an acute situation or one where the patient really wants to see change quickly, then we do recommend the use of herbs right away. We are not in the market to gouge you for herbs. They simply cost money.
WHY WE DISCUSS THE HISTORY AND APPLICATION OF CHINESE MEDICINE
There is a large learning curve in our western understanding of what Chinese Medicine is. Just like a Western doctor will take some time to explain your treatment and condition, we do the same here at YAO. It allows the patient to feel comfortable and make wise choices about their care and how they proceed. It also allows them to feel confident in moving forward with this type of treatment. Chinese Medicine is based on an entirely different world view and therefore the discussion of how it works is important during the visit. This facilitates a deeper understanding as well as trust for the overall therapy/therapies that we may employ. After this, the patient is truly able to be fully on board with the treatment and protocols put in place.
Often times there may be additional questions that patients may have about a treatment or therapy that they initiate such as how does moxibustion work. At YAO we take time to explain the details of the history around how it was developed, why it was used and how we use it today. We won't just scoot you out the door and take your money. We want you to understand that with many trips to China under our belt, that we have done the research for you and can explain it with certainty.
COST BREAK DOWN
We thought it might be helpful to make a comparison of our prices on visits and herbs to other places in the area:
We not only incorporate Chinese Medicine, but we are often looking at western medical doctor diagnoses, treatments and labwork. We really work using functional medicine and therefore we have to compare our rates to other folks practicing this type of detailed medicine. We periodically look around the area to be sure we are in line with other folks Here's what we found and can share with you.
- YAO Initial Visit with Chief Clinician (120 mins) $289 / Nearby Naturopathic Doctor $245 (90 mins) / Nearby Functional Medicine MD $375 (60 mins)
- YAO Follow Up Visit with Chief Clinician$129 (60 + mins ) / Naturopath F/U $40 (15mins) / Acupuncture F/U $115 to $130/Functional MD F/U $375 (60 mins)
- YAO Initial Visit with Associate (90 -120 mins) $170 / Compare above
- YAO Follow Up Visit with Associate (60 + mins) $80 / Compare above
- One Hour Consult $129 / 60 minute functional medicine consult $375
- 45 Minute Consult $98 - no comparison, most people don't create a 45 minute option
- 30 Minute Consult $75/ 30 minute functional medicine consult $200
- 15 Minute Consult $45 / 15 minute naturopathic consult $40
- New Mommy Rates First Time Visit $129 with follow ups as low as $85
As expressed above, we do not generally have people come back with frequency; however, if we have a case that fits that bill, we do have packages and memberships available to suit their needs that bring down the rates for acupuncture treatments to $60-$65 and are based on the approval of our Chief Clinician.
You may be tempted to compare us to community acupuncture clinic prices which start at $40 initial consult and a $25 follow up. At these clinics you are in the same room with other people sharing space and you are also required to pay with cash or check. It is a very different model than what we have here at YAO. We are not saying YAO's model is better, we simply serve a different type of patient base and therefore it is difficult to compare us simply by price.
COST OF PRODUCTS AND HERBS
We wanted you to see several of our products and what we charge vs. what other's charge.
- Average herb price per gram at YAO: $.42 high quality herb source/ Other local herb dispensary $.40/g
- Sample nutraceutical product Ortho Molecular Probiotic 225 at YAO $49.99/on Amazon $85.99
- Bonavita Electric Kettle 1.0L $71.99 at YAO/ on Amazon $76.99
- Osea Cleansing Milk 6.0 oz. $46 at YAO/ online $48
As you can see YAO is happy to openly share our average prices for items with you as we know ourselves to be very competitive.
IS YAO A GOOD FIT FOR YOU?
YAO is a wonderful fit for you if you want really well trained staff who have been to China over 18 times and received over 50 years of education combined. We are especially the right place for you when you have a rather complex case that no one else has been able to solve. Our staff is truly committed to you either getting well, feeling well or even looking and feeling well. We do ask that if you choose YAO, that you understand that YAO clinic is a small Chinese Medical Hospital and we function as such. Our support staff in the back has Graduate degrees in Health Services Administration and has worked with hospitals and medical groups such as Stanford Medical Center & Center for Spirituality and Healing at the University of Minnesota. They are dedicated to your health AND to your pocketbook. We at YAO are constantly striving for balance not only in your health, but in how we deliver your care to you and how you might receive it.
We love new patients and welcome you with open arms into our mini-hospital here at YAO. Once you are in, you are family.
It's crazy how it snuck up already, but YES, Valentine's Day is coming right around the corner. We are thrilled to have several sure fire awesome gifts either for you to give to #1 (YOU) or to gift another. Here they are in no particular order:
- YAO Gift Certificate which can be used for any service of your choosing
- YAO's Chocolate Mud Facial containing Wild Crafted Cocoa oil which is packed with antioxidants and is a great source of magnesium and iron. Guaranteed to relax muscles, increases anti-aging properties, and decrease anxiety. The Chocolate Mud is also anti-bacterial, promotes blood circulation and oxygenation and smells like your whole face is wrapped in chocolate. Enjoy this facial by booking a YAO Extended Facial and requesting the Chocolate Mud. ($140)
Osea's Salts of the Earth Body Scrub: Restores your skin's natural glow with certified organic botanical and essential oils, moisturizing shea butter and an exotic blend of the most mineral rich salts found on this earth. These fine healing salts are harvested from the Dead Sea, Bolivian salt flats, the Utah desert and the Himalayas. This invigorating and deeply exfoliating skin scrub contains 84 trace minerals and gets its unique pink color from the rich healing ores contained in these salts. A wonderful way to transform your daily shower into a healing ritual. ($46).
Osea Sea Vitamin Boost Spray - A gorgeous red deeply hydrating mist containing pomengranate and red wine extracts. It has powerful anti-aging effects on the skin by stimulating cell renewal and is packed with Osea's continual promise of Organic Patagonian Gigartina Algae that also hydrates, soothes and protects your skin. 1 oz. - $14.99, 4 oz.- $34.99
- CHOCOLATE - We simply have a fabulous selection of chocolate. If you are a chocolate lover or know one and you have not tried Nib Mor bars, you are truly in for a treat. We sell both the Dark Chocolate with Cacao Nibs and the Dark Chocolate with Cherry. They are not as dark as you would think a "dark chocolate" would be. To those of us who are not eating dairy, we think the Nib Mor bars are the closest thing you can get to a true Milk Chocolate. They are beyond phenomenal. We also sell several other select Divine bars and a Earl Grey Tea infused Chocolate Bar. All sell for $3.99
- YAO 6 month Bodywork Membership - The best way to invest in assisting someone with stress management, need for relaxation and even consistently getting those kinks worked out. Our memberships are available for 6, 12, and 24 sessions. Read more about our membership model HERE!
- Valentine's for Mothers - We know that Moms most of all want time to rest and rejuvenate. Therefore, many of the above items fit for Mothers, but here are few others that may ring true as well: New Mommy Package if Children are 5 and under, YAO Intro Facial Series, YAO Intro Bodywork Series, or ask about our new Stress Management pack that combines Acupuncture and Massage (so new, not even listed on the website yet).
We know whatever you decide to do for Valentine's Day that it will be special. Call us to assist in ordering by phone, or come on by to grab a truly memorable Valentine gift for your loved one.
Who wants to be called "DEPRESSED or PSYCHOTIC"?
From my own personal experience, I believe that postpartum labels are misleading. This confusing classification of “depression and psychosis” may be the cause that so many women don’t seek help after having babies. Having a baby is supposed to be one of the most beautiful times in a woman’s life... who wants to think of themselves as depressed...yet alone psychotic?
Following the birth of my daughters I experienced a wide range of unsettling symptoms, none of which I would consider classic depression.
Almost immediately after my first daughter was born I was overwhelmed with intrusive thoughts. If I heard something on the news about a child being injured or victimized, I would obsess over the same fate befalling my daughter. If a child got hurt in a movie, I would get extremely emotional and be unable to finish watching; it would take days for me to get the images out of my mind.
Intrusive Thoughts Gone Wild
Probably the most irrational thoughts I encountered were those concerning a Zombie Apocalypse. No, I’m not joking. Before my daughter was born my husband and I enjoyed watching the Walking Dead. After my daughter was born, not so much. As crazy as it sounds I actually began to fear zombies as if they were a real threat. I lay in bed imaging what we would do incase of an attack. Where would we go? How would we defend ourselves? Of course no one knew that I was having these thoughts; I understood my irrational so I kept my obsessions to myself.
Eight months after Estee was born, I was pregnant again. After Isabella was born, I still wasn’t technically depressed, but I didn’t feel happy – I didn’t feel much of anything. I wasn’t interested in sex, I was having a difficult time remembering things, I felt as if my eyes had a film over them and I couldn’t see clearly, and I STILL had intrusive thoughts. The lack of feeling was the most distressing. I love my husband and my children, but at the time I couldn’t experience laughter or joy...just apathy. It took me a year and a half to get help. I suppose like many women, I assumed that the symptoms would fade over time. But they didn’t and my quality of life was deteriorating.
Success through Chinese Medicine
Even though I am a practitioner at YAO, I humbly made an appointment to get my blood tested and set up time with Daniel to design a treatment plan. With the help of Chinese Medicine, a better diet, several supplements and Cross Fit, I was 70% better within 3 months. As some of you are aware I am now 38 weeks pregnant with Baby #3. Let's see what happens this time around. Of course...I know at YAO I am in good hands with talented and compassionate staff. I will be documenting my trials and tribulations on the new YAO New Mommies Facebook Community. Join me there for support, strength and wishfully some humorous gems along the journey.
YAO New Mommy Post-Partum Package
My desire to provide support for post-partum depression/intrusive thoughts (and whatever other crazy mis-leading diagnosis that none of us want to have) has led to the development of YAO's fabulous New Mommy Post-Partum program. We are extremely proud of this package as it truly offers an all encompassing package for the Mother (especially when everyone else is concerned about the baby and Mama takes back seat)! The price is totally reasonable for a new and growing family and includes 6 full hour post-partum visits with acupuncture plus a FREE massage and FREE facial. It goes without saying that new Moms need some R&R and the Facial is wonderful for dealing with any fluctuating hormone imbalances that are affecting the skin.
Let us hold you when everything else feels like it's crashing around you
I know how brutal and isolating those feelings can be and no other Mom should have to go that road alone. Please don't hesitate to reach out to any of us at YAO. Either call us directly at 303-777-7891 or complete the request form below and we will be in touch promptly to assist you in your challenging situation.
As much as it may seem like we are in the heart of Winter here in Denver, CO, the truly exciting part is that by the Chinese Calendar, we are just about to tip the tide and move into Spring in a matter of weeks. Granted, we won't see the true "light" of Spring for another few months, but don't be fooled, Spring is on it's way. At YAO we are always looking at how we can improve our health with the support of the seasons. And Spring is a fabulous time to exfoliate!
With the severe dryness and deep cold, our skin has been caking on layers of protection, just like the layer of cornflakes depicted in the image above.
[Please note: We use this image of Cornflakes, Raisins and Grapes to assist our patients in understanding the layers of the skin, why we do what we do in our Beauty appointments and how a variety of products can assist depending on what is happening in each individual's unique situation.]
And though this protection would probably be fabulous if we spent most of our time outside, it does not have that "loveliness" when we look in the mirror and see exacerbated wrinkles and creases. Layers of accumulated skin can also increase acneic tendencies and there can be a build up of black heads and other bacteria on the skin.
Exfoliating services at YAO
We are so excited to launch this New Year and the New YOU at YAO. As we look to 2016 with all our new year's resolutions before us, we can consider shedding our inhibitions, bad habits and literally our SKIN! Spring and Fall are by far the best times of year to exfoliate and YAO Beauty has a variety of services to assist you in achieving your skin care goals. Any of these services can be worked into the YAO Extended Facial. Please simply request that we work on this service when you are booking the appointment. This will allow our esthetician to prepare for the services appropriately.
The Dermafile is the perfect alternative to microdermabrasion. The crushed diamond file lightly polishes and resurfaces the skin allowing fresh new cells to be exposed, thus improving the appearance of the skin. It also brings more oxygen to the skin therefore improving the color.
Dermaplaning is a noninvasive exfoliating procedure that removes the top, outermost layer of skin as well as the vellus (peach fuzz) hair on the face. This process leaves the skin supple and smooth and the results are immediately noticeable. Dermaplaning is excellent compliment to other services as it helps products absorb more quickly and deeply into the skin.
Peppermint Rosemary Facial:
A powerful detoxifying blend of peppermint, basil, rosemary and sage essential oils are infused with repairing actives formulated with anti-oxidants, organic algae extracts, Vitamin C and Hyaluronic Acid. This facial will help hydrate and oxygenate your skin, improve cellular function, refine pores and heal sun damaged skin. Red algae, red wine, green tea and copper peptides and blended with marine based anti-aging serums to visibly brighten and clarify your skin tone and help reduce pigmentation. A customizable facial for all skin types that will leave your skin feeling deeply hydrated and renewed.
Infuse your skin with a unique selection of repairing actives formulated with antioxidants, organic seaweed extracts, Vitamin C and Hyaluronic Acid. This facial will help oxygenate your skin, improve cellular function, refine pores and sun damage. White algae, white wine, white tea and copper peptides are blended with marine based anti-aging serums to visibly brighten your skin tone and help reduce pigmentation. A powerful repairing facial for all skin types.
YES! YAO will very soon be launching our Facial Rejuvenation package. Facial Rejuvenation Acupuncture is a set of facial acupuncture points designed to encourage the body's natural production of collagen and elastin. These new cells quickly tighten the skin reducing fine wrinkles and decreasing puffiness around, especially around the eyes, nose and mouth. It can also assist in reducing dark circles under the eyes. Those who have received Facial Rejuvenation Acupuncture say that it really leaves them feeling "younger and fresher". We agree! It's awesome! And though you will be able to try an intro trial session where you will receive both a sample of the Facial Rejuvenation Acupuncture with Michelle Luiz, plus an intro facial with Cathy Castor, the whole package will include a series of 9 sessions scheduled either weekly or twice a week. In the 9 sessions you will receive 3 treatments with a deep exfoliating facial with our Cathy as well as the Facial Rejuvenation Acupuncture with Michelle. The other 6 sessions will simply be the Facial Rejuvenation Acupuncture with Michelle. We know you are going to LOVE this! We are thrilled to share this with you. Stay tuned!
Booking for Exfoliating Services
To book for one of the above deep exfoliating services, all you have to do is schedule a YAO Extended Facial Session and specify when booking that you would like either: Dermaplaning, Dermafiling, Peppermint Rosemary Facial or The Anti Aging Facial. All of these services cost the same $140 unless you have purchased a series package or a membership. If you have either of these, you can apply one of your YAO Extended Facials and try one of these services. If you are unsure as to which would be best for you, no worries. You can discuss this with us when you arrive.
Other YAO Beauty Services
In addition to the exfoliating services mentioned above, YAO has an extensive Beauty Service Menu. If you are new to YAO, take advantage of our Beauty Introductory Specials or consider the YAO Beauty Membership Program for the best value (for more information, visit our website at yaoclinic.com).
If you have any questions about these services or any Beauty services at YAO, please feel free to call us at 303.777.7891 and schedule a free, 15 minute consult with our Esthetician, Cathy Castor.
Happy New Year and CHEERS to the New You at YAO!
As we launched our Beauty department at YAO, we decided to run a Groupon for the Brazilian Waxing service and boy have we learned a lot and it's mostly about what people don't know or understand. So here we have it from Cathy Castor, YAO Beauty's Esthetician.
Cathy Tells All About Brazilians
The more interesting side of learning about a Brazilian is not just "what" it is, but "why" have one or why do "other people" get one done? Women have many reasons that delve into how they enjoy their intimacy with their loved one to their experience of their own personal hygiene. If people are deciding to do a Brazilian for their partner and it in turn actually ends up making them feel amazing...well, that's what we support. There can be many reasons why we make changes in the first place and some of them may be for the wrong reasons...but in the end, experience wins out and our entire reasoning can change. At YAO Beauty we want to empower our patients and clients to feel amazing in their bodies. Here's what one client had to say about Brazilians:
What is a Brazilian?
A Brazilian Wax is the removal of all hair in the pelvic area, both front and back, and though a Brazilian can be done on both a woman or a man (manzillian), at YAO we only do a traditional Brazilian on women. Though the standard is to have all hair removed many women enjoy leaving a thin strip of hair. Don't be shy about sharing with me how much hair you want to keep. Some women really don't like being fully bare up front as you can see in the quote above by one of our patrons, and I am happy to accommodate to the best of my ability.
Things to Know Before Going to Get Your Brazilian
A few things to know before you go about getting your Brazilian at YAO:
- The main difference between waxing your coochie and waxing the rest of you is that at certain times of the month if we have all our lady parts (ovaries, uterus and all), we bleed. At YAO we recommend that you simply not be on your period when you come in for a Brazilian. A great rule of thumb is to avoid booking your appointment anytime closer than a couple of days before or after your period. Your skin is often more sensitive near the time of your period and waxing can be more painful than normal and we would prefer you have the best experience possible. At YAO, we are able to wax during your cycle, but want you to be aware that not only can this increase sensitivity, but we have also observed that it can increase the breakage of the hair and therefore results may vary.
- For optimum results, hair should be at least 1/4 to 1/2 inch long. If it's been more than 4-6 weeks since your last Brazilian (or if it's your first Brazilian), you should trim prior to your appointment so our Beauty Department can be the most efficient with your time during the treatment and to avoid any increase in pain during waxing.
Other Things to Know Prior to ALL Waxing
If you are considering a Brazilian wax, there are some important things for you to be aware of before, during and after this service.
- Waxing removes hair at the root, versus shaving, which only removes hair at the surface. Hair removal at the root increases the time between waxing as well as puts your hair on the same growth cycle, which helps eliminate breakage and ingrown hairs.
- Exfoliating your skin prior to your appointment is wonderful as this allows the wax to adhere to the hair and not to any dead skin or oils that naturally occur on our skin. Shower and lightly exfoliate your entire bikini area right before your appointment using warm, not hot, water. Don't use any oils or lotion in the bikini area prior to waxing.
- Take a pain killer 30-45 minutes before your appointment if you're worried about pain. (Aspirin and Ibuprofen may not be the best choices as they are both known to thin blood).
- It's ok to shower, but after waxing you should avoid excessive heat (very hot baths, hot tubs, saunas, steam rooms, tanning beds) as the skin is sensitive and vulnerable to ingrown hairs.
- Use a post treatment product and exfoliate your skin 1- 2 days after the service to help avoid ingrown hairs. At YAO, we treat your bikini area with a balm made by our skin care line, OSEA. Osea's Blemish Balm contains Osea's healing blend of Cypress, Juniper and Rosemary essential oils known for their antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.
What Wax Do We Use at YAO
At YAO we use a product considered to be the gold standard in hair removal called Nufree. Nufree was developed over 25 years ago to help plastic surgeons remove hair form patients before surgery, and it is now carried by thousands of professional salons throughout the world. Nufree is self-preserving, antibacterial and antimicrobial, and is therefore, safe, clean and germ free. It is completely botanical and safe for the entire body. Nufree is scientifically tested and uses no animal products.
Have More Questions? Ready To Book Your Appointment?
As your esthetician, I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have about our waxing services and more. Please feel free to call YAO directly OR send an email to [email protected] and I will gladly speak with you directly or get right back to you as soon as I am in the office.
REMINDERS FOR STAYING SANE DURING THE HOLIDAYS
It get's so incredibly crazy during the holidays. Just when we think we have things either organized physically or our minds settled down, one child or a family member or even a friend...incident on the freeway or other can take us down quickly. With that in mind, here's a few things as it relates to your ties with YAO to keep things CHILL!
MINIMIZE HOLIDAY INDULGENCES:
Keep holiday indulgence to a minimum. Wanting to stray form your optimal diet over the holidays is to be expected, but if you're like many of our patients at YAO, indulging in gluten, egg or dairy can be detrimental to your digestion and well-being.
If you're unsure of the food being served at a holiday party, make sure you eat at home before you venture out. If you have the time, try baking your favorite treats with Gluten Free 1:1 Bob's Red Mill Flour, Earth Balance or Coconut Oil in place of butter and substitute eggs with an egg replacer (EnerG) or flax seed and water. If you know you're going to indulge because your Mom is making your favorite holiday dessert, come into YAO for some Repairvite, Underbergs, Culing pills and more. Here are some holiday desserts that are YAO approved. (Make sure to substitute with Gluten Free Flour if necessary).
KEEPING IT REAL
It's easy to overbook your schedule during the holidays with friends, family and co-workers. Unfortunately, your health and sanity are often at stake. Workouts get cancelled, diets are compromised and the lack of down time leaves you feeling stressed and irritable. Prioritize your social engagements; say YES to those that re important to you and your family and NO to those that aren't going to have a positive effect on your life.
ASK FOR HELP
This year I am 6 months pregnant with two toddlers; the thought of getting ready for Christmas was overwhelming so I called my Mother and asked her if we could spend Christmas with her. Going to her house now saves me the trouble of cooking and cleaning, and as an added bonus, my kids will be properly spoiled for 5 days while I nap and eat too much.
If it's your turn to host Christmas dinner, ask your guests to bring side dishes and desserts.
If you're stressed out about cleaning, ask your loved ones to pitch in to hire a cleaning service before your big day of entertaining.
If you need some alone time, ask for it! Arrange for your kids (or spouse) to get out of the house for a few hours.
Sometimes when we need help, we give hints or expect other people to read our minds. Make sure your requests for help are direct and understood.
YAO IS HERE TO HELP
Did you let it go too far? too long since we've seen you? Book your appointment today 303-777-7891 and we can get you on the table for some deeper relaxation/a little YAO nap in the ever available YAO Time Warp. You know where to find us. We're here when you need us.
Michelle Luiz, LAc, YAO Medicine
Everyone knows that holiday stress can creep into our bodies so easily. We think we are grounded, knocking off things on our "to do" list and then WHAM...we get hit by a cold, we are late to an engagement, we can't orchestrate the timing of getting things done correctly etc and we feel the stress and anxiety clamber up inside our body.
Both of our YAO Massage Therapists have come up with some fabulous ways to beat the holiday stress.
Breathing can be so underrated! At YAO, we often find that many of our patients do not truly understand deep diaphragmatic breathing. Short, high breaths can easily contribute to stress and anxiety. There is incredible nourishment and relaxation that simply comes from learning how to properly breathe.
- Find a comfortable position: lying down, sitting in a comfortable chair or other.
- Close your eyes and let your breath fall lower and lower into your abdomen. This means that when you inhale, your belly should rise up and when you exhale it should fall back into the body.
- To add a more energetic component, imagine your breath as a beam of new fresh energy or light coming in through the top of your head and finding the place in your body where you are holding stress. Imagine the new energy coming in and transforming any old stagnant energy. Any old energy can dissipate from the body through the feet or head an can be recycled back into the earth.
Take a moment to just relax your body by doing a short visualization. Close your eyes and visualize a calming place with every sense of your body. What does this space feel like? Smell like? What is the air temperature? What sounds are transpiring? Possibly a light breeze? Smell the air around you, notice the light and shadows that exist in this space. Be present here and allow yourself to practice some deep breaths in this space.
Enough sitting and standing still, learn to move each joint in the body through its range of motion. If you do this 20 times each morning, you will increase the synovial fluid in the joints. It gets the body moving and awake..ready to face the day!
LIDDY's Days at YAO: Wednesdays and Fridays
Boost Your Immune System with Regular Massage
Cold and flu season can be extremely challenging on the body. Did you know that massage therapy is a proven immune booster? Numerous studies have indicated that massage increases the immunity by increasing the lymph flow and body's natural "Killer cells". Once the immune system is stronger, your body is more prepared to defend itself against those cold and flu viruses going around your workplace, school or even your home during the winter months. Booking regular massage throughout cold and flu season is a wonderful measure that will aid in assuring a smooth Cold and Flu season.
Improve Overall Circulation in Winter with Massage
Hands and feet can easily get cold and clammy during the winter months. We may also find an increase in stiffness in joints and muscles with the chilly weather. Massage therapy increases the circulation in muscles, joints and organs warming up the body. The aches and pains associated with the chill can be easily eliminated with regular massage in our cozy YAO Bodywork room.
Thanks for the Massage, My Winter Blues are Gone!
As it turns out there is a decrease in number of those affected by winter blues in those who receive regular massage. Ah, the power of touch!
JOSEPH's Hours at YAO: Tuesdays, every other Thursday and Saturdays
It happens to the best of us. We're at a holiday party and someone says that what we are about to eat is totally gluten free, but then mid-way through after they explain how they made it to us, we realize that it wasn't dairy or egg free. Never fear check out these "before and During items" followed by the "morning after" items.
When it happens
Here's what you want to do. Immediately get some of that Repairvite in your body (PIC ABOVE). The sooner you get it in, the sooner it will sweep the yuckies away. Also take some Culing Pills and an Underberg to get things under control quickly and discharge any discomfort.
ITEMS TO TAKE THE DAY AFTER
So you forgot to take anything right when it happened...you can definitely have the Repairvite the morning after (and a few days after continuously); however, you may also want to try Huo Xiang Zheng Qi Pian. It is pictured here both in vials of small pills as well as within a liquid. The liquid will act quickly by getting into your system fast. The pills are easy to take also and will get in there, but just a little slower than a liquid might.
We are sure that these will definitely make your holiday F#@! up a WHOLE lot easier.
All our best,
Alright... we have attempted to be both helpful and entertaining. Let's see if we were able to accomplish either! We had to special feature Daniel's Fave's and all our other employee fave's can be found here.
Included below are some grouped items that we thought cater's to some of the challenges that many of our patients have as well as some fun gifty items.
For the skier/outdoorsman in your family. This includes the ever amazing Altigen - fabulous for preventing altitude sickness and facilitating the increase in available oxygen in the body. YAO Oil - great for healing any cuts or wounds while hustling around outside. Enduro Bar - Fabulous energy snack with a caffeine kick to boot. Chocolate Fig Espresso flavor - TASTY! Nick's Sticks - Grass Fed beef and turkey sticks. A wonderful snack and energy boost when out and on the go. Golden Sunshine Pain Patches - Hurt yourself? These are wonderful both in the moment of injury and after it's happened, hours later. You can cut the patches to the size of the injury. Relief comes immediately. Zhengu Shui. Another wonderful pain topical. Spray the area. No messing with sticky liquids that spill unnecessarily and are wasted. This little compact bottle of Zhengu Shui sprays the area and stays put. Yunnan Baio - Big injury? Cuts and more? Head trauma even? The yellow pills in Yunnan Baio can be broken open and applied to the possible infected skin cut area. Warning - it might not feel too nice, but it certainly will prevent infection. Head Trauma - immediately take the red pill lodged in the center of the pack. We love how they put this in the pack as you never know when you may need it. Ching Wan Hung Burn Balm - Wonderful balm for any potential burns while out and about. We can help you put the entire pack together or mix and match according to your gift recipients personality!
GLUTEN FREE STARTER KIT
For those just venturing into the realm of Gluten Free, we have coupled together some of our favorite Gluten Free items at YAO.
If they haven't tried Sami's bread, bagels and chips, then by all means...turn them onto Sami's. Sami's is by far the BEST gluten, dairy and egg-free bread product company. The sourdough is phenomenal! The GFB Bites and Bars - these are very tasty bars and a bag of bite size dough balls. The balls come in the ever fun flavor of PB&J. Ask us more about the flavor options, but these are really tasty as well as high in protein content. Simple Squares offer the adult with their very own "bar palate" boasting flavors of "sage", "rosemary" and "Cinna-clove". Yummy! Ah...the good old OCHO bar, which is very similar to what many know the Mounds bar to be; however, the OCHO is all organic and down right delectable! And the Epic Bison Bar. Epic makes very tasty flavors of meat bars that are a wonderful meal substitute when necessary.
THE SUPER SLEEP PACK
Sleep seems to be a challenge for many as of late. This fabulous pack of three gives you some options.
Fulnight - This is our go to at YAO as of late. Fulnight, though on the pricier side, we find it to be not necessarily great for getting to sleep, but for allowing you to sleep deeply through the night once you are asleep. We love the fun dreams that come along with Fulnight as well. Suan Zao Ren Tang and Anshen Buxin Wan are also wonderful remedies. Come into YAO and talk to one of our staff members to find out which would suit you or your loved one best.
YAO Holiday Stress Buster Pack -
These are individual items (Seriphos, Tran-Qwill, PS Calm) that are wonderful for over stressed adrenals and the over stimulated mind. Be sure to talk to a YAO practitioner to make a thoughtful decision on which one suits your situation or your loved one's situation best.
Holiday cold and flu pack
Yes, don't we know it! You over did it, didn't you? And now you have the dreaded Holiday cold and flu. Here are some items that may get you through to have on hand.
The main things Daniel wants to be sure you know is how to decide between the use of Ganmaoling Tablets and Yinq Qiao. Ganmaoling is used to prevent catching a cold and Yin Qiao is for cold and flu when you feel you have a sore throat. The Watermelon Frost Tablets are a very specially prepared watermelon rind tablet that is a wonderful lozenge for sore throat. Olbas Lozenges are our new and wonderful line of cold care products. Pictured here are the lozenges for coughs and sore throats. Their powerful vapor works quickly and their flavor is very tasty. We also carry the traditional Golden Throat Lozenges which are also very powerful and helpful for sore throats and coughs. Lastly, we have the lovely White Flower oil, great for opening up the sinuses and chest/lungs.
YAO FOOT CARE
Put up your feet, kick back and relax. Soak your feet in this lovely YAO herbal foot soak, followed by rolling your feet on the thermal foot back and body Acuback roller and top it with an overnight Detox Foot Patch that will have you sleeping like a baby! Now that's a wonderful gift!
YAO SPA PACK
Spoil your loved one with the many lovely and nourishing bath, body, beauty and spirit items in YAO Market. Our most recent YAO Smudge spray is fabulous. The scent is instantly clearing and can be used for physical spaces as well as for a body smudge. Our staff can help individualize a lovely gift set depending on your giftee, but we have Osea, Dr. Singha's and Nefeli items to name a few from which to select.
YAO's New Mommy Pack
Since we see a lot of new Mothers at YAO and we know there will be a few new Mommies needing Holiday gifts, here's the pack we recommend These are the items we KNOW a new mother will want to have on hand. #1 - A membership to YAO's New Mommy program. This fabulous program allows for new mothers to receive care at YAO for a fraction of the price. While everyone is attending the baby, YAO will be caring for the Mom!
Included here is a small bottle of Yin-care and an applicator, great for keeping clean the vaginal area post birth. YAO Oil - fabulous for applying to any tears or cuts in the vaginal area post birth, Also great for applying to cracked or sore nipples after nursing. Quiet Nights a wonderful tincture for the fussy baby. Shi Quan Da Bu Tang to assist in post-birth restful sleep and last but not least the cutest little YAO baby t-shirt!
YAO Gifts for the Spirit
All gifts to clear, soothe and invigorate the spirit. The YAO Peace Buddha is a wonderful little reminder to not take life so seriously. His jovial nature and peace fingers will bring in a lightness in areas where things may seem too heavy. Need to burn something strong? Grab the charcoal SwiftLites and burn some of the YAO Francincense to really do a thorough cleansing. Need a mild scent to clear the air, grab a stick or two of the YAO Palo Santo. And again, pictured here - the YAO Smudge Spray for body, face and room. Deliciously aromatic and appropriate to cut any ungroovy energy.
OTHER YAO GIFTIES
The beautiful gift pack of 9 Asian cards, the new YAO tea glasses, a set of Swift Lite and Francicense with a tempered dish to burn it on. The Happiness, Longevity and Prosperity Talisman...and the YAO Certificate for those whom you just can't find anything else for.
We are wishful that these photos and break downs give you some good ideas not only during the holidays but throughout the year.
All our best - TEAM YAO